Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back on the road!

+3
discoman41
elfgirl
Full-Throttle
7 posters

Go down

Back on the road! Empty Back on the road!

Post  Full-Throttle Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:37 pm

Here she is, finally back on the road, my 1967 Island Green Mk 3 Hornet with 40,000 miles from new. She's led a bit of a hard life having been laid up by both myself (slapped wrists) and her previous owner for long periods, but is now back out where she belongs.

It's been a sympathetic restoration as so much of the paintwork is original and I'd like to keep hold of that for as long as I can. There are still jobs to do; the interior needs a bit of tidying and the front seat seams restitching-she currently sports 1990's Cooper seats-but she's held up on the initial test runs, so now I'm looking forward to taking her further afield. Hopefully now I can get her along to some shows next year and finally meet more of you!

Back on the road! 100_0412
Full-Throttle
Full-Throttle

Back to top Go down

Back on the road! Empty Re: Back on the road!

Post  elfgirl Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Welcome Back on the Road, she looks great, she's clearly had at lot of TLC. I love the reg!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Looks very smart! as elfgirl says, excellent reg too!!

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:34 am

She looks gorgeous!
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 am

Welcome to the forum, Enjoy!
Very nice!
I can't believe it's the original paint job though, must have been garaged all the time?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mac Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Welcome to thr forum.
Car looks fab.
cheers john
mac
mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

an old(ie) but goodie - well done, top banana, if rusty looks half as good as that, i'll be a happy bunny! weldathon on rusty is almost finished by the way!!!!!!
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Back on the road! Empty Re: Back on the road

Post  Full-Throttle Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words Very Happy Not all the paintwork is original, the paint on the roof and from the doors back survive, along with the bonnet. The front wings, scuttle and the 'A' panels had to have new paint, that was the job for my weeks holiday in September! The passenger side wing is original, although the car had suffered a prang earlier in it's life, and whilst preparing for the new paint I ended up stripping away most of the previous repairs and re-profiling. The driver's side wing is new.

I've been lucky in that the colour match between the old and the new paint isn't too bad, and although the original paint does have faults in places I'd like to keep it like that for as long as I can. It will never be a perfect car, and if it was I'd be too terrified to drive it!
Full-Throttle
Full-Throttle

Back to top Go down

Back on the road! Empty snap!

Post  spongebob Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Snap!!! looks same colour scheme as mine but mine is a mk2 and i'm also running 80's front seats, mine from a blue mayfair and she's not had a resto either just repairs as she's needed them. Wecome to the forum and wil ook out for you at the shows.
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:12 am

Full-Throttle wrote:Thanks for the kind words Very Happy Not all the paintwork is original, the paint on the roof and from the doors back survive, along with the bonnet. The front wings, scuttle and the 'A' panels had to have new paint, that was the job for my weeks holiday in September! The passenger side wing is original, although the car had suffered a prang earlier in it's life, and whilst preparing for the new paint I ended up stripping away most of the previous repairs and re-profiling. The driver's side wing is new.

I've been lucky in that the colour match between the old and the new paint isn't too bad, and although the original paint does have faults in places I'd like to keep it like that for as long as I can. It will never be a perfect car, and if it was I'd be too terrified to drive it!

every little mark, scuff, ding and dent has it's own story - jvg has small dents on the top of each front wing where i stood astride the engine bay before jumping up and down on the engine to get the damn mounts to line up a few years ago! they still annoy me, but also make me smile! Laughing
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down