Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front end Disc Brake Conversion

5 posters

Go down

Front end Disc Brake Conversion Empty Front end Disc Brake Conversion

Post  superworm Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:51 am

superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Front end Disc Brake Conversion Empty Re: Front end Disc Brake Conversion

Post  Guest Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:35 am

Pretty reasonable, most likely 8.4 inch calipers for that price, either way, a complete set up at that cost, not bad at all! (new bearing kit, 30 quid, ball joint kit, both sides, 40, new discs, 20 each, hoses, 8 each), (if converting to 7.5 calipers, 100 each). minis...es kit costs 550 odd quid. hence a very good price.

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:51 am

Same guy on Ebay has a rear windscreen for sale
Wasn't someone on here looking for one of these?
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks Alan. I have managed to obtain some 7.5 discs & hubs with driveshafts from a fellow club member of my local club. In the mean time I have found the cylinders sticking on the Elf. Although they were new cylinders they had been standing too long (estimated 18 years) so its a toss up now whether to renew the cylinders or to refurbish the disc set up. £80+ for new seals and pistons + new ball joints etc. not forgetting re tracking.
mmmmmmmmm Christmas is coming in case no one has noticed!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:16 am

Evening Tony

If you decide to go for the Cooper S 7.5 inch system, make sure you use the Cooper S steering arms as the disc brake track is wider. A Cooper S master cylinder is advisable and remote servo to make the brakes really work well. Fitting either Cooper S or later Mini rear brakes brings the rear track more in-line with the front but this is up to you and this modification can be done at a later stage.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:10 am

Hi ElfService

Totally agree that Tony needs the "S" Steering arms - they are also much beefier than Standards Arms. I took off the "S" servo that I had fitted as I was cheesed that the darned thing took up too much valuable space in the engine bay (and when I moved it to underneath the passenger side parcel tray, wifey kicked up about it snagging her nylons!!!!). The Servo was a necessity when I first fitted standard Cooper (sideplate !!!) useless discs but found I didn't really need it when I put the "S" Disc set on. Anyway, the best thing I ever did with my brakes was to fit Aeroquip braided hoses - methinks NLA but Goodrich do a similar set - I have every confidence in my brakes now - a good solid feel to the pedal.

Tony - when you get around to refurbish the calipers, go with Stainless Steel Pistons

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Cheers Guys for the info.
Looks like four new standard pistons and braided hoses are the way to go for the moment.
I'll "collect my other bits for the calliper conversion " eventually! Smile
BTW I have checked the set up and already have the steering arms on the set up so ok there?

I can only find the right size pistons at Somerford mini. where else may I get them?

Last edited by TONYELF on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Steering arm info added)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:10 pm

TONYELF wrote:Cheers Guys for the info.
Looks like four new standard pistons and braided hoses are the way to go for the moment.
BTW I have checked the set up and already have the steering arms on the set up so ok there?

I can only find the right size pistons at Somerford mini. where else may I get them?

Hi Tony

I know you can only obtain one of the rear handed wheel cylinders and the same may apply to the front. All you need to do is to drill a small locating hole in the back plate to accomodate the small locating pin.
The drum brakes when set up correctly are fine for every day motoring but you can judge for yourself and then decide.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:33 am

Elf Service wrote:
TONYELF wrote:Cheers Guys for the info.

Hi Tony

I know you can only obtain one of the rear handed wheel cylinders and the same may apply to the front. All you need to do is to drill a small locating hole in the back plate to accomodate the small locating pin.
The drum brakes when set up correctly are fine for every day motoring but you can judge for yourself and then decide.

I'll watch out for that Andrew. Thanks for reminding me. I had the same problem with the rear brake cylinders but managed to obtain correct ones.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 am

superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 am

Noted and logged! Thanks Alan Smile
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm thinking of going the honda civic / rover 200 disc brake conversion myself. Apparently you retain the drum hubs so there's less to buy and new civic calipers can be got off ebay for 50cc ish quid a pair.
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down