Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Elf-a Romeo"

+2
elfred
discoman41
6 posters

Go down

"Elf-a Romeo" Empty "Elf-a Romeo"

Post  discoman41 Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi all,

Just when I was expecting to be dropping off "Rupe" on Bank Holiday Monday for his long awaited respray, I get a call from Bullseye Mini Club asking if I would like to "dress him up" as one of the Italian Police cars from the Italian Job to go on their stand at Uttoxeter on 6th Sept to "chase" the 3 Italian Job Minis!

Well anyone who knows me will know that I mucho disliko the dressing up of Mini's, but.... I thought this would be quite fun....(inspired by Claire doing something similar with "Bertie") So, he will have one more outing before going for respray on the 7th!

The downside however is that he probably won't be ready for Castle Combe, but I am hoping to have back well before the Malvern Mini Show in October (Al - Do you want me to arrange an EHR stand there? We all did well last year I recall)

Also, this months Mini Mag..... checkout page 39! That damn car of mine gets everywhere!!!! Lol Laughing

Watch this space for his progress as an "Elfa Romeo!" Cool

....now where can I get a magnetic flashing Blue light from????

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

"Elf-a Romeo" Empty Re: "Elf-a Romeo"

Post  elfred Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:26 pm

Hello Jason,

I was interested to hear that you are going to get Rupert re-sprayed soon.

Elfred is now back with me with a new MOT, having been fitted with new rear wheel arches, a new rear valance and a few other patches here and there! Hopefully he will now be solid underneath for a few years to come. On top of this he has had a new exhaust, a wheel bearing and a good overhaul of the brakes. However, I suspect that the rear subframe will need replacing in a couple of yesrs time, which leaves you with the decision of whether to convert it to "dry" suspension.

Although he still looks pretty good, with a nice patina about him, I am considering getting Malcolm (who sprayed my Morris Minor to an excellent standard) to re-spray him over the winter.

My only fear is that the chromework, which is perfectly acceptable with the existing paintwork, will no longer be so with immaculate paintwork! Then the interior will not be up to scratch and so it goes on. I've been there with my Morris Minor and what you think is going to be a £1000 restoration ends up costing you £3000 or more! (i.e. more than the car is worth)

The other problem is that once you have done it, you are afraid to drive it or get it wet!

What do you or other EHR members think?

Best regards,

Richard.

elfred

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:14 am

firstly - go for it jase - an elf-a-romeo would certainly be a first!

as for elfred, i think you are right - an expensive respray and expensive rechroming session may just leave you with a car you are frightened to drive. i remember when i had jvg painted a few years ago i was terrified of scratching the paint and was almost relieved when it picked up it's first stone chip!

as far as i can remember, last time i saw your car it looked terrific so you may consider holding back on the respray and waiting to see whether the subframe needs doing soon and if that brings any more welding work. would be a shame to mess up new paint in a year or two if the heel boards or other rusty bits need doing too!

will we see you at castle combe? - reckon we can squeeze you in...
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  elfred Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:37 pm

Hello Alastair,

Thank you for your sound advice.

Fancy paintwork, chrome and interior may be fine, but it won't get Elfred through the next MOT!

Which is most important from the EHR point of view?

(a) To keep the car running and in regular use for all to see and the driver to enjoy.

(b) To keep an immaculate car locked up in the garage most of the year and only let a select few enthusiasts see it at shows. (who will no doubt pick holes in it anyway). I've been there and done that with my Morris Minor and Standard 10. True I've won some prizes, but is that what Classic motoring is all about?

All good food for thought.

I am currently booked in at Castle Combe with my local Mini Club, but if you would like Elfred on the EHR stand instead, please let me know. They usually have plenty of takers on their stand, so I am sure they will not mind.

Best regards,

Richard

elfred

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:25 pm

Personally I go for option A , look after them, yes but enjoy them too - although that may be coz I don't have a garage -lol.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 pm

Each to his own I say.
Whereas my Elf has cost me a small fortune. I try to use it 2-3 times a week, it keeps it in trim so to speak. I do keep it in a garage, the sliding window channels are ace at letting the rain in.(yes I do use it in the rain ,but don't really like to, and end up spending time making sure my sweets are not swimming in the door pockets etc!)

Got to agree with Al, sort your subframe out first before respray, the front subframe bolts can be a pain to remove and sometimes neccessitate cutting the rear ends of the outer cills to allow a new set of captivated nuts to be welded in to receive the new subframe bolts.
Good luck with your plans progress.
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm

TONYELF wrote:Each to his own I say.
Whereas my Elf has cost me a small fortune. I try to use it 2-3 times a week, it keeps it in trim so to speak. I do keep it in a garage, the sliding window channels are ace at letting the rain in.(yes I do use it in the rain ,but don't really like to, and end up spending time making sure my sweets are not swimming in the door pockets etc!)

Got to agree with Al, sort your subframe out first before respray, the front subframe bolts can be a pain to remove and sometimes neccessitate cutting the rear ends of the outer cills to allow a new set of captivated nuts to be welded in to receive the new subframe bolts.
Good luck with your plans progress.
Tony

I'm gonna give "Rupe" the full works - whatever needs doing after he's stripped back to bare metal will be done. The little guy deserves it! Smile
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:32 pm

elfred wrote:Which is most important from the EHR point of view?

(a) To keep the car running and in regular use for all to see and the driver to enjoy.

(b) To keep an immaculate car locked up in the garage most of the year and only let a select few enthusiasts see it at shows. (who will no doubt pick holes in it anyway). I've been there and done that with my Morris Minor and Standard 10. True I've won some prizes, but is that what Classic motoring is all about?

I'm wholly of the school of thought that these cars should be driven. My Elf spent two years as daily driver (250 miles a week) which took its toll somewhat, but now I have a choice of Minis I use one of them every day.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  elfred Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:58 pm

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your sound advice.

I took Elfred to the mixed classic car show at Bredon today and he attracted plenty of attention, which suggests he is fine for the time being. He drove nice and now stops brilliantly as well! Sheer enjoyment! You can't beat an earlier Elf with external hinges, sliding windows and a "magic wand" to play with! It has a real 1960's feel about it!

I look forward to seeing Rupert once he is re-sprayed. He should then win every prize going and good luck!

Best regards,

Richard

elfred

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:27 pm

elfred wrote:

I look forward to seeing Rupert once he is re-sprayed. He should then win every prize going and good luck!

It's not about winning, it's the taking part! cheers
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:39 pm

discoman41 wrote:
elfred wrote:

It's not about winning, it's the taking part! cheers

Yeah, right! That'd be why you rushed off and cleaned Rupe's engine after JVG and Katy swept the board at Malvern last year Laughing Laughing Laughing
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:22 pm

SJ.... I did that out of pure embarrassment!

You coming to Malvern this year???
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:25 pm

It was a good weekend - Bit of a trek tho, but if it falls in half-term again it might be a good excuse to get away. I know I could log on to my desk top and find the e-mail with a newsletter attached in order to find the date... but if you happen to have it to hand...

Alterntively, can only admin post events into the calendar section of this forum. Mght be an idea for those of us who aren't completely on the ball to be able to log in an look up what's on- and who's going.. Just a thought
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

"Elf-a Romeo" Empty Calendar Entries

Post  TONYELF Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm trying, believe me I'm trying to put info on the Calendar without success as you have noticed. Sorry but its a different ball park to my local club forum which fortunately was a damn sight easier than this. John is looking into it for me but as you know, his business project comes first so please bear with me. Embarassed
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Elf-a Romeo" Empty Calendar Entries

Post  TONYELF Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:08 am

TONYELF wrote:I'm trying, believe me I'm trying to put info on the Calendar without success as you have noticed. Sorry but its a different ball park to my local club forum which fortunately was a damn sight easier than this. John is looking into it for me but as you know, his business project comes first so please bear with me. Embarassed
I think I may have sussed the problem of inserting entries on the Calendar. Please check 6th September date which shows Cholmondely Castle Classic car show Organiser Peter Greenwood. Is This the sort of info you want? Cholmondley Castle is Cheshire BTW.
PLEASE Can members pm me with requests and what info they want
ie 1/Date of event
2/ Title of event
3/ Phone no if you wish members to contact you
4/ Mobile No if members are lost and can contact you.
5/ Cost of entry if known.

The list is endless but please bear in mind there is limited space! Please keep to well known abbreviations if Nec!
Thanks

TONYELF
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 am

Can see you've been busy Tony. That's exactly what I meant - you're a star cheers
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:26 am

elfgirl wrote:Can see you've been busy Tony. That's exactly what I meant - you're a star cheers

I aim to please Laughing Got it in one!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down