Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just got an Unsafe warning on this site.

+7
Big_Al_Smith
TONYELF
hilbert
asahartz
Red Riley
We Are The Mods
elfgirl
11 posters

Go down

Just got an Unsafe warning on this site. Empty Just got an Unsafe warning on this site.

Post  elfgirl Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:11 am

This website has been reported as unsafe
elf-hornet.forumotion.com

We recommend that you do not continue to this website.
Go to my home page instead

This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

"More information

This website has been reported to contain the following threats:

Malicious software threat: This site contains links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.

Learn more about phishing
Learn more about malicious software
Report that this site does not contain threats
Disregard and continue (not recommended)"

Hey Guys,

I know we've raised this before but I've just upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 and have now got the above message when linking to this site.

I don't want to lose all the advice and camaraderie from this forum but DO NOT want to stay here at the expense of my personal details.

It is the only/ fist site that I have come across that has been reported as "Unsafe". Admin please as a matter of urgency can we consider how we can ensure that this site ensures our details are secure and how we might if necessary, pay/ contribute to ensure that this happens.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Just got an Unsafe warning on this site. Empty Re: Just got an Unsafe warning on this site.

Post  We Are The Mods Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Just don`t click on the Highlighted words
Nore the link ontop of the page

Ill will contact my mate who is also in charge of this site

Apart from that it is safe
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Just got an Unsafe warning on this site. Empty Re: Just got an Unsafe warning on this site.

Post  elfgirl Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 pm

We Are The Mods wrote:Just don`t click on the Highlighted words
Nore the link ontop of the page

Ill will contact my mate who is also in charge of this site

Apart from that it is safe

It's OK, I'm not daft enough to do either of those :-)
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Elfgirl,
I've had the same problem with free forums carrying malware in the banner ads, this one included, but the quickest way to get rid of this stuff is to install an ad blocker plugin like Adblock Pro on your web browser. My personal preference is to toss Internet Explorer and use Firefox instead, but I think IE can run the adblocker plugins okay.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Strange, I'm using IE8 and have never seen this message. Don't know if it's anything to do with my AVG toolbar or the fact I'm also using Windows 7, but certainly no messages here.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 am

Just got informed by my mate he said. Because its an free froum you will get adds

The only way to stop this is to pay £10 mounth to loose the adds for it to be safe
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hilbert Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:18 am

i will pay the first 10 pounds to get free of the adds
iam really getting ill from the adds and my firus machine

greeting hilbert

hilbert

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:34 am

Likewise, I'm happy to pay extra. I know Al takes pride in keeping the subs low, but if this is an important part of the club (and I know a lot of non members currently use the forum) then maybe we should consider whether or not it's worth a small investment by the club.

Just had a thought! Al, let's discuss when we meet for lunch!

BTW, I haven't got that warning again since, I don't know if there was a particularly dodgy add running that day!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 pm

elfgirl wrote:Likewise, I'm happy to pay extra. I know Al takes pride in keeping the subs low, but if this is an important part of the club (and I know a lot of non members currently use the forum) then maybe we should consider whether or not it's worth a small investment by the club.

Just had a thought! Al, let's discuss when we meet for lunch!

BTW, I haven't got that warning again since, I don't know if there was a particularly dodgy add running that day!

On that note don't accept free virus scan checks, they will always come up with "you have X No of Virus etc etc, Click here to download programme" only to find they just want money!!!

Then when run your "own" virus checker it can't find them!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm

I would also like to see this froum add free

Ill let him no
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 pm

Why would you need to pay £10 a month to get it ad-free? You don't need to pay anything to run a forum on a site, you just need to have enough bandwidth, which on this particular forum isn't a major issue either as it's not that busy. £10 a month is expensive hosting IME.

Perhaps we should be looking at hosting it elsewhere - for example I have a hosting account with JustHost which has unlimited bandwidth and forum scripts available. Worth a look?
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:42 pm

You know, when it was just plain text ads I could live with it. But these bloody flashing cursor ads are really irritating me.

Why don't we look into hosting somewhere else? My Justhost account costs £35 a year, free domain, unlimited bandwidth, PHP BB forum software included. I reckon that's pretty good value. The main site could be hosted on the same account.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:58 pm

must confess to being completely brain dead when it comes to how t'interweb thingy works - all i know is we pay £7.50 a month for the website hosting and john looks after it. hopefully he can remove the ads if they are a real pain - even if it bumps the price up to a tenner a month, the club will still be able to cover that with no increase in member's subs........fingers crossed Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:00 pm

al....

the ads are here and not on the website....

if we have ads removed from this FREE forum it will cost us to do so!

I personally have not had any pop up warning or got any virus from here or any other web forum.

I use malwarebytes and AVG free on my machines!
all 5 of them!

But will look into the costs of removing the ads if you like!
but the link words will still be there just no ads at the top.....
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.elf-hornet-register.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:17 am

Just install Firefox and Adblock (both FREE). Firefox is a better browser than Internet Exploder (not just my opinion) and you'll never see those pesky popups and banner ads again.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 am

I'm using Linux and Firefox. No problems on mine.
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Big_Al_Smith wrote:must confess to being completely brain dead when it comes to how t'interweb thingy works - all i know is we pay £7.50 a month for the website hosting and john looks after it. hopefully he can remove the ads if they are a real pain - even if it bumps the price up to a tenner a month, the club will still be able to cover that with no increase in member's subs........fingers crossed Very Happy

So that's over twice the cost of my hosting package and doesn't include ad-free forums?

Just install Firefox and Adblock (both FREE). Firefox is a better browser than Internet Exploder (not just my opinion) and you'll never see those pesky popups and banner ads again.

I'm using IE8 in Windows 7 and no popup problems. I do use Firefox in Linux but strangely, though there are few obvious differences, I actually prefer IE8.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:41 pm

the web hosting costs DO NOT include this forum!

this is a FREE forum that has NO connections with the main site other than its linked to!

I have no issues with this site.
but happy to look at things if enough are having issues
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am

Admin wrote:the web hosting costs DO NOT include this forum!

this is a FREE forum that has NO connections with the main site other than its linked to!

I have no issues with this site.
but happy to look at things if enough are having issues

Yes, exactly. Wouldn't it make more sense to host them together?
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Possibly but I dont know how to write a forum!

I know the basics of dreamweaver to run (sort of, needs updating) the club site!

I dont know how to write and run a forum!
hence we use this free one!

if any of you know how to write and run a forum then your welcome to run it...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 am

I'm not having any issues apart from not seeing the logo on the home page.

I'm happy with it!
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:58 am

Ditto. I'm too busy looking down the page for new threads!
So far I have won over a 1000 Audi cars 50,000 lap tops, 2M tv's (I'm going to open a supermarket!) LOL

Seriously I never open them as all they want is youe e.mail address so they can bombard you with cr*p!

oops, that nearly went through!

Last edited by TONYELF on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ammended dirty word!)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 am

I'm on the website most days and I have never had a problem.
It's easy to use and the subject headings are well thought out.
As with other regular users, I don't even see the ads I just get down to the subject matter and latest messages.
Like Tony, I too have won enough exotic 4 wheel machinery to set my own car sales company. In my dreams, as I'm never tempted to click onto them. As the saying goes, "There is no such thing as a free lunch" or am I just being an over cautious sceptic?
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:00 pm

OK - sorry I ever started this thread. Especially as I haven't had any futher probs since that initial warning when I first mentioned it ages ago - you're doing a great job John - I wasn't intending to have a go! I certainly don't know how to run a forum either!!

Seeing as I started it, can I suggest we put an end to this thread?

BTW I can do you all a great line in certain pharmaceuticals Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:59 pm

I'll lock this down then elfgirl!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down