Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild

2 posters

Go down

Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild Empty Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild

Post  Red Riley Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:28 am

Now and then I see people searching for the number plate lamps for our wee beasties. The Lucas L543 part number is available from a few places, but the ones I've seen are incorrectly made and NOT a suitable replacement. So I've come up with a simple way to give new life to crusty old ones that have given up the ghost, or in Lucas terms, have let the smoke out. Here is a link to my step by step method. Hope it helps someone out. Enjoy.
CLICK HERE
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild Empty Re: Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild

Post  afc3659 Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:35 pm

Red, thank you! Although it's been over five years since your post, I have recently bought a 1969 Elf and have been thinking about how to refurbish the number plate lamps. Can I ask where you got the Cole Hersee bulb holders from? I am in Australia and it's not obvious to me if there is a local supplier here. Thanks for any advice.
afc3659
afc3659

Back to top Go down

Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild Empty Re: Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild

Post  Red Riley Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:33 pm

Cole Hersee does apparently have a presence in Australia. https://www.colehersee.com.au/
But I think that particular part may be obsolete. That said, I did a quick google on Cole Hersee 2505 and came up with a few suppliers. Sure it will involve international post, but that wouldn't put me off. I've had parts sent from Australia to the USA, so I'm sure it works the other way as well. To be honest, that particular lamp socket was just what I could lay my hands on at the time. Any snap in type single contact lamp base would work, as long as it fits a BA9 bulb. You can probably walk into your local auto supply place and grab a couple of different ones to try. Good luck!

I did a test with one similar to these, and it works fine. You just may need to file out the mounting hole until you get a good fit.

Lucas L534 Number Plate Lamp Rebuild Screen12
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  afc3659 Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:17 am

Red, thank you again!  I think I have found a local shop who can supply bases very similar, if not identical, to the ones that you have highlighted.  I have ordered them and will see what they look like in the next few days.
afc3659
afc3659

Red Riley likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down