Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identification of a part of my engine

4 posters

Go down

Identification of a part of my engine Empty Identification of a part of my engine

Post  Elf1301 Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Upon inspection of my engine bay, I found something that i'm not sure is just an in-line fuel filter or something else like an add-on of some sort to the fuel system? (Got the yellow sticker on it that says like econcofeed or something) wondered if anyone knew what it is?

Identification of a part of my engine Screenshot_2015-06-13-13-18-38_zpsxldsmn1g

Many thanks,

Hayden
Elf1301
Elf1301

Back to top Go down

Identification of a part of my engine Empty Re: Identification of a part of my engine

Post  boris710 Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Very interesting!
At a guess I would say its an early form of fuel filter (as the fuel line is cut and fuel passes through it) that has been secured to the Hydrolastic pipe for convienience.

There is a later type of magnetic 'strap-on' to the fuel line available that does not break into the fuel line in any way. It is possible that this "Econofeed" uses a magnet and still requires the fuel line to be cut ?
The only sure way to find out is to take it off and have a look inside.

You have the option of leaving it as it is (unknown condition) or replacing it with a paper type fuel filter which will need renewing periodically or a washable, re-useable, glass type fuel filter ( I have fitted one of these on my Elf.) which has the added advantage of being able to see the fuel in the line, even with the engine running, for when a fuel pump failure occurs. affraid
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Identification of a part of my engine Empty Re: Identification of a part of my engine

Post  Elf1301 Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Fantastic! Thanks very much! Cool

I'll take a further look into the filter and if in an okay state will contemplate keeping it, but i'll probably replace it with the glass filter as this sounds like a better option for ease of use and for targeting any problems that may occur! sound like a more cost effective solution also! Razz
Elf1301
Elf1301

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Heres a recent pic of my engine bay showing the glass type fuel filter just to the left of the washer bottle on the engine bulkhead.

Identification of a part of my engine <a href=Identification of a part of my engine Engine%20Bay%201" />

....... and this is the filter on Fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Midget-Chrome-Glass-Inline-Fuel-Filter-6mm-WASHABLE-/200574648605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eb32e411d

Hope this helps ?
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf1301 Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:22 pm

That is brilliant! I will buy one now! Very Happy

Thank you so much, damn good price as well! Would you recommend buying a new fuel line as well and just install them together?

Looks much tidier and neater and a bit more up to date than currently, thanks again!

Elf1301
Elf1301

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:02 pm

The fuel line is the most important one in the car as far as I'm concerned - if it leaks from being too old, at best you are losing very expensive petrol, at worst it can cause a fuel fire !!!

If you have any doubts about its condition or age - CHANGE IT !
Its not a huge cost to change but make sure you buy the correct Fuel grade pipe.
and if the pipe clips arent the right size or are damaged, change them as well if only for peace of mind. Cool

boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf1301 Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:49 pm

As I have ZERO information on past work on the car, that will be replaced for definite then! I'm not taking any chances with that!
And I want the engine bay looking as good as can be

Thanks again!
Elf1301
Elf1301

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Cool

You are welcome !

Very Happy
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Just to venture a guess, I would say it's probably one of the plethora of "magic" or "miracle" fuel saving devices foisted off on innocent fools. Probably does as much good or harm as having an extra in-line filter. I would take it off and preserve it for posterity, whilst putting an actual filter in its place. It might even be worth something for the oddball collectable value.

Here's an interesting article on "fuel saving devices" where they actually did some testing: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf1301 Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 pm

Now that is interesting! hopefully it has done more good than harm!
Yes I think I will, don't want to chance it if i'm honest and based on that article, seems like it really wouldn't do anything to improve the engine in any way!
It is still pretty awesome and interesting though! If its desirable to a collector that is just an added bonus!

Thank you very much, I shall inspect further and report back!
Elf1301
Elf1301

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:13 am

A further suggestion that I have been given from a member on my local Mini Forum is that it may be a form of early Fuel Regulator in line with the Carb. This could be the case as its "in" the Fuel line and has a name which suggests an 'economy' use.

The Elf would have an electrical SU Fuel pump which would supply the petrol at a constant pressure to the Carb making a 'Regulatory' device a good form of saving some petrol usage.

Just a guess of course but probably worth considering. Having said that I would still replace it with a glass type filter if it were on my car.

boris
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Identification of a part of my engine Empty Fuel Filter?

Post  Bryanthemercman Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi Garry, I think you will find this is a early form of fuel saving device. The Elf should not need one of these as they are an economical car to drive anyway. I would suggest you just replace it with a disposable fuel filter of some description.
Bryanthemercman
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf1301 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Brilliant, I certainly will replace the device, probably with the washable glass fuel filter and renew the fuel line also, when I strip and clean the Carb.
I will keep hold of this device though and clean it up to make it look nice, as it is a nice little piece of history I guess.

Many thanks for everyone's help! I am starting work on her as of Friday and will start a thread in the projects section as a log of the work, this will be my first restoration project and any tips and tricks will be gratefully received!

Thanks again,

Hayden
Elf1301
Elf1301

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down