Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fabricating new rear valance

3 posters

Go down

Fabricating new rear valance Empty Fabricating new rear valance

Post  humph Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:37 pm

I know there are a number of rear valance threads I could have resurrected but all seemed to have run their course somehow, or seemed to ask specific questions that weren't relevant. I did find one in the wanted section where the following was posted:

asahartz wrote:
TONYELF wrote:Heres one link. I'm looking for another where a member has "butchered" two new mini valences and made one up. Not strictly the correct size but what the hell?!

That would be me! You have to look hard to tell, and it's definitely better than using van ones as on the car I inspected for Jim. For a total cost of £19 and a bit of labour, it's well worth it IMO! (When I did mine I couldn't find a new Elf one anyway, but for the money I think I'd still do the same again anyway)

Fabricating new rear valance Rearvalancenew1

The rear of the Elf is a bit wider than the Mini, so you take just over half of each side, join them in the middle, cut away the end flanges, but kind of diagonally so that the join is on the corner, do a similar job to the cut-off shorter sections to make a side section, cut to length and fold over the edge to join the closers to. That's it in a nutshell; obviously there's a bit of fiddling and panel beating to make it fit, but it's worth the effort. There's no filler on mine BTW.

I have spoken to Kevin (Rupert_Fish on Ebay) about his valances and he's just sold his last. Now, he is having some new ones made, but they're a few weeks off yet & obviously circa £130+. The post above has intruiged me though. As I was unmasking the horror that is my rear valance the obvious solution seemed to be van rear valance, but Roy suggests otherwise. I have to say that I thought the rear end of and Elf was less rounded than a Mini, hence the thoughts of van/estate parts.

I guess my question is to the OP, and any others with experience; Are you still happy this is better than a van panel? It's been 3 years plus since the original post, any better solutions cropped up? Any pics of both methods? Obviously the remanufactured panel will fit straight off, but with saloon valances coming at £12 each for none genuine, and van bits coming in at about £30 it's got to be worth investigating these options.

I'm obviously open to any other ideas.

Simon

Roy, is there a reason why you chose to cut the panels so the join was diagonally across the corner? Is it just neater? Can the panel be fabricated without this diagonal cut?

humph

Back to top Go down

Fabricating new rear valance Empty Re: Fabricating new rear valance

Post  Big_Al_Smith Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm

I'd modify a van one and spend the saved cash elsewhere - the pub perhaps? Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 am

I guess a question I should have asked is what modification does a 3 piece van valance need to fit?

humph

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 am

The original post referred to was me. Having worked on a Clubman estate (same valance as a van) I'd go the same way again with my Elf valance. The CE was a nightmare to get the corners to meet the centre, and it's signficantly smaller than the Elf valance.

The reason for the diagonal cut was to get the corner shape right - the Mini corner is a different shape. And yes, the rear shape is different, hence the centre cut. But they do fit quite well this way. £20 for two pattern valances beats any other option!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks asahartz. I will probably try your saloon valance solution for the sake of £20. I follow your instructions and it seems pretty simple, but I'm guessing the cut locations will be more obvious once I've got the panels in my hand and the existing valance off. If it works I'll try to get some cutting plans done as a guide.

humph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down