Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 69 Riley Elf MKII

+2
dansElf
bobafet1
6 posters

Go down

My 69 Riley Elf MKII Empty My 69 Riley Elf MKII

Post  bobafet1 Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Hello everyone,

Here is my latest project. This is my first mini-type car so forgive me if I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to specs/etc. I bought this car a few weeks ago and have been fixing things here and there. I noticed the passenger side sags lower then the right and after doing some research I've narrowed it down to the hydrolastic system possibly being low. Since I'm located in Southern California I wanted to know if there are any local shops that might help me get this car level again or if there are any local members that may be able to help out. Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

Also, next on the list of things to do is:
1. Get new wheels/tires since the old ones are pretty darn old
2. Update the brake system to disk brakes (anyone know where I can source cheap parts??)
3. Tune up the motor/trans
4. Start with body/paint

Eventually I may try to hop up the stock motor (if that is even worth doing....will I be able to drive on the freeway???) or go the Vtec route since my brother gets Vtec motors all the time.

Thanks
My 69 Riley Elf MKII IMG_1868

bobafet1

Back to top Go down

My 69 Riley Elf MKII Empty Re: My 69 Riley Elf MKII

Post  dansElf Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi!

Great car, looks to be in a fairly sound state!

I too have just got my first Elf (66 mkII), but it needs lots of welding & paint before I can get after the motor.

Speaking of motor, I'm going to hop up the current 998cc. I think you can get fairly decent (60ish?) hp (12G295 head, new cam (RE13), overbore (+.100)). That should be enough for freeway cruising, but it will never be a real burner.... but it should be enough for me, and way cheaper than a Honda conversion.

I'm up in San Jose, so don't know any mechanics down south. Try looking up the local mini club (they're pretty active from what I hear) for advice.

Good luck, looks like a fun project.

Cheers,
Daniel

dansElf

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:09 am

As regards the hydrolastic system, first check for leaks (they will probably be obvious) - either they leak at the unions or through a corroded pipe. If the latter, they can be replaced with 8mm copper tube. If you have to replace tubing, you will need to rig up something to suck out the air from the system before you can pump it up.

For pumping up the system, check out the Austin America website, where there are instructions on how to make a basic hydrolastic pump from a grease gun. Not sure where you'll source hydrolastic fluid, though it's not too dissimilar from green-yellow antifreeze TBH.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  bobafet1 Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:23 am

asahartz wrote:As regards the hydrolastic system, first check for leaks (they will probably be obvious) - either they leak at the unions or through a corroded pipe. If the latter, they can be replaced with 8mm copper tube. If you have to replace tubing, you will need to rig up something to suck out the air from the system before you can pump it up.

For pumping up the system, check out the Austin America website, where there are instructions on how to make a basic hydrolastic pump from a grease gun. Not sure where you'll source hydrolastic fluid, though it's not too dissimilar from green-yellow antifreeze TBH.

Hmm, I wonder if I can replace the hydrolastic system with air bags? haha

bobafet1

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:43 am

I am in Lancaster, CA. You can get your Hydro suspension pumped up at Heritage Garage in Costa Mesa and they will be able to check it out to make sure it isn't leaking. www.heritagegarage.com. As for replacing the suspension with airbags, it was tried a long time ago and seemed to die out for other options like converting to coil springs like what I did.

You can join MOALA (Mini Owners America Los Angeles) www.moala.org since we are a very active group in SoCal and our members can help greatly with parts and tech knowledge.

As for hopping up the 998, I did a 10thou overbore with flat top pistons and a 12G295 Cooper head with a 3:44 final drive and had plenty of power and freeway cruising ability. Was taching 4,500 rpm at 70mph. You can go to a 3:10 final drive to lower that down to 3,500 rpm at 70.

I have a '67 Elf so glad to have another Elf in SoCal, that makes five or so Very Happy
I
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

http://www.moala.org

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Coil spring conversions are great for improving handling and the ride is superior to cones, but for ride comfort nothing beats hydro on a Mini/Elf/Hornet! Trust me, I have all of them on different cars. The coil car is my daily driver and great for throwing about and less afraid of potholes than cones, but when it comes to a comfortable ride I'll take one of my hydro cars every time.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  bobafet1 Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm considering building my own hydrolastic pump since I may keep this car for some time. Unless someone in SoCal has one I can borrow for the weekend? I'd like to the cruise my Elf around town but its laying on the bump stops on the left hand side. ;(

bobafet1

Back to top Go down

Post  2311Jethro Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Were the North American Mk11 different in that they had internal door hinges? I thought only Mk111 had those in the UK, I may well be wrong!

You also don't seem to have any wipers, does it really rain that little where you are? What a great place to live that must be!

2311Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:56 am

There was no North American version. If it's a 1969 it's a MKIII.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobafet1 Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 pm

2311Jethro wrote:Were the North American Mk11 different in that they had internal door hinges? I thought only Mk111 had those in the UK, I may well be wrong!

You also don't seem to have any wipers, does it really rain that little where you are? What a great place to live that must be!

I have the wipers but the blades are old so I'm looking for some replacements. However, it doesn't rain to much here in Southern California, unfortunately.

bobafet1

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:03 am

bobafet1 wrote:
2311Jethro wrote:Were the North American Mk11 different in that they had internal door hinges? I thought only Mk111 had those in the UK, I may well be wrong!

I have the wipers but the blades are old so I'm looking for some replacements. However, it doesn't rain to much here in Southern California, unfortunately.

Minimania should be able to help with those.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:15 am

As much as it rains in SoCal, you could just weld up the holes and keep a pack of RainX wipes in the glove box.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down