Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf.

+3
Coco_ChanElf
Red Riley
FrogElf
7 posters

Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf.

Post  FrogElf Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi guys,
As many of you may know, I'm currently engaged in a mammoth task, restoring a 1969 Riley Elf. However, we are struggling to find money to pay for the inevitably huge parts list. So I need you guys' help! Please visit the site linked at the bottom, watch the video/ read the article and share it with your friends. I'll be really thankful to anyone who helps out and, hopefully, with you guys' help we'll be able to reach my funding goal!

http://igg.me/p/118558?a=670726

We've had our first donations yesterday, but we need to keep 'em coming!

Thanks again,
Peter
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty Re: Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf.

Post  Red Riley Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Pete, I think it's very admirable of you to get creative in finding alternative funding for your project. Nice job on the video, by the way. That being said, I feel it would make your case stronger and get more people on board if you added a bit about what you're personally doing to get funds. You mention that it's hard for you to save up the money, but not what you are doing, like odd jobs, sweeping up at the local parts shop, delivering Chinese food on your bicycle, cleaning pigeon poo out of the parish bell tower, etc. People are usually more inclined to reach into their pockets when they feel like they are getting on-board and contributing to a grass-roots project, and not just giving a handout. You've made a good start. Keep up the moral and get even more creative, you'll get it done!
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty Hi

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:43 am

I think it's brilliant you're doing this and I wish you the best of luck. I think Red Riley makes an excellent point.

I spent all my money on a red mini when I was 17 - I never managed to save enough money to get it restored and it broke my heart to have to sell it again before I even took my driving test. I did have many happy hours sitting in it dreaming. It took me another 20 years before I got my Elf and the wherewithal to do it to the standard I'd dreamed for my Mini.

I guess I'm just saying 'nothing good comes easy'. Be prepared to wash a lot if cars and clean a lot if windows. Smile

But now listen to me, I sound like an old curmudgeon.

Do publish a list of all parts you need, you never know what people here have in their sheds they might be prepared to donate or sell to you cheaply.

Good luck!

Ps have you thought of approaching any if the classic car mags for sponsorship?

Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty RE: Hi

Post  FrogElf Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Coco,
Thanks I'm currently working on updating the page to give more detail as to what I'm doing and I'll be publishing a parts list soon too!

You mentioned in the last part of your post getting sponsorship from classic car magazines. Would they be prepared to do that? How best would it be to approach them? I've messaged Mini Magazine already just to show them how I'm doing and to share the page with them.

If anyone reading this has had experience getting sponsorship from magazines could get in touch with me I'd really appreciate it. Smile

Thanks,
Pete
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty Sponsorship

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Pete
Perhaps someone else here would be better placed to advise, I am no marketing genius, but if I were you I would think something along the lines of
- perhaps you write a series of articles with photos showing the project from start to finish. Maybe they'll pay you for your articles?
- perhaps you could visit shows with your project Elf promoting the magazine in question? They might pay you to cover the Elf in ads/branding and spending all day long telling people about the mag?

The critical thing is that they get something tangible in return. But a boy totally restoring a car from scratch does have reader interest, so...you can only try!
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty resto

Post  martin k Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:47 pm

what about these tv programs that assist/do restos, a 14yr old will create interest.............u can only try
martin k
martin k

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty Re: Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf.

Post  Nick Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Try also some mags, you never know your luck, some like to feature home restos! Nothing ventured nothing gained...

Nick

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty Progress!

Post  FrogElf Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Good news guys!
I told my teacher at school about the project, and it turns out his Dad is David Manners, who owns Jagspares (a company who also supply Mini and Elf parts) http://www.jagspares.co.uk/Mini/company.asp
As a result of him telling his Dad about my project, I have been told that I can have £200 worth of parts free of charge and a discount on any other parts I buy from them! Great!

My next step is to get in touch with Mini Magazine, a few other classic car Magazines and maybe even Wheeler Dealers! (http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/wheeler-dealers/)

Thanks guys, it paid off!
Pete
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 pm

nice one!! Very Happy Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Please visit this website and share it with your friends, I'm 14 and struggling to get funding to restore an Elf. Empty Good work!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Sounds like you've got a battle plan now! Wink
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:29 am

Oooh. Do I see that the JagSpares site shows Elf overriders stocked? Interesting.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Coco_ChanElf Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:59 am

Red Riley wrote:Oooh. Do I see that the JagSpares site shows Elf overriders stocked? Interesting.

Holy having a laugh, batman!! Can it really be true?!?
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Toga Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:28 am

I think it's great to see young kids get an idea to do something that doesn't involve computer games, my 13 year son has done runs for charity and the like and does cricket scoring etc to save money. HOWEVER ..if I knew he was going on forums like this basically begging without doing anything for it I would be very dissapointed. Maybe rebuild it and auction it off for charity ? I think you need to rethink your whole approach !
Toga
Toga

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:33 am

ingenuity and invention...a little charity and enthusiasm....goes a long way....and England won! Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down