Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

towbar suppliers?

+3
asahartz
Naughty40
psychobob
7 posters

Go down

towbar suppliers? Empty towbar suppliers?

Post  psychobob Sat May 12, 2012 10:33 am

anyone know where you can buy a towbar for a hornet(on dry suspension)? are they hard to fit? also what is the weight limit for towing? i'm thinking about getting a tiny trailer tent to replace my perforated fiat 900e camper. its becoming more patch than van recently!
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

towbar suppliers? Empty Re: towbar suppliers?

Post  Naughty40 Sat May 12, 2012 11:05 am

If I remember correctly maximum towing weight is 400 kilos.and you should be able to find a towbar on e bay,we have towed a small eriba puck behind our mini for a while now even to the IMM in Bavaria with no problems but saying that have a 1275 engine
towbar suppliers? Eriba00480

Naughty40

http://www.mini40register.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sat May 12, 2012 10:45 pm

However a Hornet or Elf is longer at the back than a Mini, and I'd be very surprised if you can find a supplier at all. I suspect you may have to get one custom fabricated.

This is what I plan to for my Mini anyway, as I have a centre exit exhaust. In any case, I want to make it bolt-on-bolt-off without having to remove the basic mountings. This is because (a) I'll only tow with it very rarely and (b) it's now an MOT item, but only if it's actually fitted at the time!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun May 13, 2012 4:37 am

I've seen them for sale on ebay by Watling Flange or Towequipe but the mounting instructions say that bumper mods are required so I assume you have to drill holes to mount the bar to the bumper. I wouldn't use that type myself. I've seen a different type that mounts to the rear of the subframe and under the seat pan, but not sure where to get them.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob Sun May 13, 2012 10:59 am

it does have a 1275 motor but it doesn't have bumpers anymore as they wouldn't fit with wide arches, so i cant fit one that bolts to the bumper! does anyone know what the lightest trailer tent is?
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 am

Red Riley wrote:I've seen them for sale on ebay by Watling Flange or Towequipe but the mounting instructions say that bumper mods are required so I assume you have to drill holes to mount the bar to the bumper.

I guess that's why mine has two holes in the bumper... no towbar now though.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:38 pm

I've got an old towbar for an Elf - bought it nealry 20 years ago and haven't got round to using it yet.
From what I remember, it bolts to the floor in a few places and possibly the bumper lip underneath the bumper itself (taking advantage of the bumper spacers).

I think I sent Brian some pics a few years ago when we were first discussing his Elf trailer for Kreacher.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:02 pm

[quote="Alex"]I've got an old towbar for an Elf - bought it nealry 20 years ago and haven't got round to using it yet.
From what I remember, it bolts to the floor in a few places and possibly the bumper lip underneath the bumper itself (taking advantage of the bumper spacers).

I think I sent Brian some pics a few years ago when we were first discussing his Elf trailer for Kreacher.[/quote

I fitted a Dixon Bate towbar to myfirst minivqn in 1963. That had a L shaped section which utilised the bumper bolts (two each side)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Alex wrote:I've got an old towbar for an Elf - bought it nealry 20 years ago and haven't got round to using it yet.

I think I sent Brian some pics a few years ago when we were first discussing his Elf trailer for Kreacher.
I think you threatened to send me those pics, but I've not seen them yet. I just haven't gotten far enough on the project to feel the need to nag you about it. drunken Sleep
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 am

Hi, ive got a complete towbar for the Elf/Hornet, it was removed from a 68 Mk3 Auto, its complete minus the long bolts that go through the rear bumper, i dont think i wll be useing it on this restoration so may sell to someone who requires it for their car,
all the best
Dave 07830 498029

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum