Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horn Help 64 elf

4 posters

Go down

Horn Help 64 elf Empty Horn Help 64 elf

Post  evlin64 Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies to my other questions

Fitting my new horn this afternoon and it does not work!!!

Originally it was on a push switch on the dashboard I have now put it back on the horn push there is 12V across my meter when I push the horn push, 12V between the purple wire and ground and continuity between purple & black and ground .

The horn that I received is plastic!!
Has two connections no + or – indication/marking and an earth tag with a female spade and round crimp eyelet with hole that I imagen is to earth the horn, tried all ways round.

Is this horn for a newer Mini that is not switching the ground??

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Horn Help 64 elf Empty Re: Horn Help 64 elf

Post  TONYELF Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:21 am

My 64 Elf horn requires two connections ie. live and earth. The horn is isolated from earth where bolted to the body. It is permanently live which means I have to pull one connection off the horn itself when my grandaughter sits in the car otherwise she is constantly annoying the neighbours Very Happy
It is the original horn and did not work when I got the car so I left a large dose of WD40 all over, inside and out and left it over night. It worked the following day with a little persuasion ( amazing the number of things hammers do! affraid )

I assume you have tried cleaning all connectors and spades ect?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  evmck Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 am

Just don't do the same as I did a few years ago and wire the horn to the indicators - it made turning corners a much more entertaining manoeuvre though! geek
evmck
evmck

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am

try it out of the car on a battery or charger to see how/if it works ok. Sounds like it is a general spurious product, later minis were single terminal if I remember correctly (it is a long time since I have put my head under anything post 1970!)

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Horn Help 64 elf Empty horn

Post  evlin64 Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for the replies,
Two problems found, new horn was faulty/did not work, break in cable that was not apparent when you lifted the horn out onto the front panel as it straightened the cable and made the connections but broke it when you connected in situ

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down