Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has converted to an alternator

+2
asahartz
myminimonster
6 posters

Go down

Who has converted to an alternator Empty Who has converted to an alternator

Post  myminimonster Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering who has converted their car to an alternator.

I am ok with doing it and what is required etc but wondering what the advantage is?

What are peoples opinion of doing it and what are the problems with sticking with the generator/dyno setup?

When does having a generator cause problems, apart from issues like trying to run brighter lights or audio etc. I want to keep my elf as original as possible but want to make sure it will be ok for all types of use(long and short trips etc).

Hope this makes sense and you get what i'm after Question

Thanks in advance
Adie
myminimonster
myminimonster

http://www.theminiregister.com

Back to top Go down

Who has converted to an alternator Empty Re: Who has converted to an alternator

Post  asahartz Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

I converted mine to an alternator as soon as I started to use it - but then I was using it as a daily driver for a couple of years. In fact as I have ended up with an A+ engine because two older autoboxes failed on me, I also have an inertia starter, so I rewired the whole starting/charging section of the loom.

To be honest I haven't run a dynamo-equipped car for a long time - the last one was my A40 Farina. I wanted more reliable charging; I wouldn't expect a dynamo to keep up with the demands of winter driving especially with a radio. I don't really know how well modern audio copes with it as the regulation is relatively primitive. My A40 was fitted with a period cassette player but the quality was pretty poor, and I don't think radio reception would have been up to much (no way I was going to drill those wings for an aerial anyway!)

Reversing the polarity of a dynamo is easy enough though. I know there are plenty of people still running them. I might be able to comment more later this year when I get my daughter's Clubman finished; I left that with a dynamo... for now!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:00 am

If you want to keep it "looking Original" and you have plenty of brass, you might consider something like:::

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=081.200

(bit of an "ouch" price init??)

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:54 am

Still got Dynamo on "Rupert". Even with Halogen conversions - no problems

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Have you reversed the polarity?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  myminimonster Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks for the feeback all. That aftermarket product is a little expensive hey Crying or Very sad

Still not 100% decided what to do, whether to leave it be or not. Not broke dont fix it thoughts going on at the moment.

I still have stock headlights and don't plan to fit a stereo

Adie

myminimonster
myminimonster

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:20 pm

myminimonster wrote:Thanks for the feeback all. That aftermarket product is a little expensive hey Crying or Very sad

Still not 100% decided what to do, whether to leave it be or not. Not broke dont fix it thoughts going on at the moment.

I still have stock headlights and don't plan to fit a stereo

Adie

Hi Adie

Converting from Dynamo to Alternator is quite straight forward. You will need to sort our the wiring re the control box, as this isn't needed and convert the car to negative earth, which is easy. The other things to consider are:
Water Pump, make sure the bearings are in good condition as the tension of the fan belt will need be increased due to the smaller diameter of the Alternator pulley.
Use a later toothed fan belt.
You will need an adapter bracket for the rear mounting, assuming you have the earlier engine block (auto jumble/Mini shows)
You will need to splice in a mating plug connector for the alternator.
No need to replace the starter motor to a later type, unless you are changing the engine/flywheel/clutch to the later Verto assembly.

Alternators are generally more reliable the produce more power at lower engine revs, which is ideal if the car is being used in the winter for short journeys and or stop start driving in heavy traffic.
Re your headlamp conversion, the extra load shouldn't really be a problem but it depends on vehicle use.
Re audio/ICE systems, some can take serious power and if you looking at installing a system which produces 100+ watts output, then an alternator is a must.

It's up to you but as you say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I have converted my Red Elf but as I have fitted a later A+ block and a new wiring harness, this was really the only option available. My Green Elf still has the factory fitted Dynamo and Control box which is fine, as it is only used in the summer.

As a suggestion, change the headlamps and see how the battery copes. You can always top-up the battery with an overnight charge if you have any problems.

Andrew
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  myminimonster Sun May 08, 2011 1:35 am

Hi all,

After starting my engine for the first time after the rebuild yesterday I did the conversion today from dyno to alternator.
I was suprised how easy it was. i left the voltage regulator in still on the wing it still looks more like it should do.

Unfortunately the car is not going to be ready for himely tomorrow. I have a few teething problems. My carbs are not quite set up right. Initially the engine was running really hot despite setting the timing with a light. Seems i was running lean. I have adjusted the richness now and its a little rich but running cooler. They carbs still need setting up correcly swo they are running the same as each other.

4 weeks or so left to get the final bits done and ran in in time for IMM pale

Adie
myminimonster
myminimonster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum