Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Leak into front footwells.

4 posters

Go down

Water Leak into front footwells. Empty Water Leak into front footwells.

Post  Jerry&Naomi Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:47 pm

My wife found a small patch on the drivers carpet that was very wet, when the carpet was lifted, both footwells were soaking. So i had to set about looking for a leak. I've done a soak test on the windscreen rubber, and sure enough there is water coming in. However, the windscreen area appears to be dry.

It looks more like the water is coming in under the bonnet via the heater hose grommets, or possibly where the speedo / wiring is located. (I'm not sure if there should be a blanking plate sealed there at the moment, so will have to look into it. At the moment that area is open.)

I may have to pull out the parcel shelf to find it?
Jerry&Naomi
Jerry&Naomi

Back to top Go down

Water Leak into front footwells. Empty Re: Water Leak into front footwells.

Post  discoman41 Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:38 pm

I had the same problem when I first got my Elf. Again I did the soak test on the windscreen rubber and it leaked but the area around it seemed dry, but I piped some clear rubber sealant around the seal all the way around, and lo and behold it cured the problem! But you might want to check the rubber blanking gromits that are actually in the floor - any sign of perishing and that may be your problem. Driving in wet weather would force the road wet upwards.

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:26 pm

There is another common source of leaks into the footwells that is difficult to track down. If the car has been fitted with cover sills, it is common for people to seam them completely without leaving any drainage points. Water then finds its way into the sills, usually through a poor join at the bottom of the A-post where the doors hinge, and has no way out except the cross-member. Dry it all out, then spray a hosepipe round the door gaps, and look for water coming from the cross-member joins - it can take a few minutes to find its way through.

The solution involves grinding away a section of lower sill seam and opening it out to provide drainage, and sealing the bottom of the A-pillar too. However often the sills will be rotting inside by now, and it may involve new sills done properly.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:16 am

i had a similiar problem with jvg some time back and it was water running down the heater pipe 'til it curves into the heater and gravity takes over. easily solved with the rubber gasket that fits under the plate that bolts to the bulkhead to hold the front end of the hydro pipe (there is a similiar gasket under the master cylinder plates too)

good luck with it
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum