Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confirm which way around the fan goes anybody ?

4 posters

Go down

Confirm which way around the fan goes anybody ? Empty Confirm which way around the fan goes anybody ?

Post  cloud dancer Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Grumpy Elf is still overheating but I think I see the problem now.
In a past life somebody fitter inner liners to the wings and these are blocking half the inlet to the radiator.
Once I get it all back together again I'll remove it to test the theory.
I want to be sure I'm getting the fan back on the right way though as it's off at the moment for investigation into problem.
16 blade common or garden metal fan with re-enforcing strips to the blades on one side.
It's the side without the re-enforcing strips that faces the engine - right ?

cloud dancer

Back to top Go down

Confirm which way around the fan goes anybody ? Empty Re: Confirm which way around the fan goes anybody ?

Post  catmint Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:35 pm

I think that is the correct way around - tis the way I have it, but I could be wrong as well as I have had this conundrum as well in the past. To be honest these fans are pretty rubbish, the best one is the minispares one that shifts far more air. Most fans are generally only effective when the car is below about 30mph, over this the car speed does the air circulation. But if as you say the arch inners are obstructing the exit of air then this will defiantly be a problem

Hope it works ok when it is all back together

Gordon

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Confirm which way around the fan goes anybody ? Empty Re: Confirm which way around the fan goes anybody ?

Post  We Are The Mods Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:37 pm

I would fit the 11 Blade Plastic fan

The blades have more of a tilt so they wack out more air into the rad
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  shiftyseamus Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi, the correct way round for the fan is......

If you look at the blades there is a curve to them, like a very shallow "C" section, the two tips of the "C" should face the radiator.

Hope this helps
shiftyseamus
shiftyseamus

Back to top Go down

Post  cloud dancer Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, useful to check the position, though I don't think the standard fan will go on the 'wrong' way now I look at it.
All back together now and a run down the local by-pass at 70 with no overheating - fantastic. Slight delay as when I moved the Elf out of the garage there were no brakes which was down to no brake fluid. Must a a leak somewhere, more work !
So the problem was the inner wing/liner restricting the flow. I've now removed both the inner wings/liners, which I have mixed feeling about anyway. They seem a good idea but you never know what they're hiding do you ?
Thanks for the views on standard versus 11 blade fan but it's a standard car so I don't think the 11 blade jobby is necessary.

cloud dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum