Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanford Hall - 12th September

+4
Big_Al_Smith
TONYELF
elfgirl
DyNoRod
8 posters

Go down

Stanford Hall - 12th September Empty Stanford Hall - 12th September

Post  DyNoRod Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 am

I just wondered if anyone is going to Stanford this weekend? I have foolishly entered the Concourse.
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Stanford Hall - 12th September Empty Re: Stanford Hall - 12th September

Post  elfgirl Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 am

Not going but I just wanted to wish you luck - send us pics and let us know how you get on.... most importantly have fun!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:21 am

I would love to go.
Did Uttoxeter show last weekend and got a local show next weekend so a busy schedule.
Good luck in the concourse.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:02 am

good luck, hope you did well
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Stanford Hall - 12th September Empty Rubbish!

Post  DyNoRod Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 am

Nope, I don't think my car would ever win at a show like that! The entrants are just mental, clean clean clean, at least 5 of them had brough there own special display stands! Dont get me wrong, my car was clean and defo good enough for a 2nd place (and the only Elf / Hornet in the variants class) - but the others (pimped vans and pick-ups) were just mental clean! I have waxoil under my wheel arches - try getting that clean! I might have to skips ones like this - too depressing!

My only satisfaction came from having stack of people complimenting my car and chatting to me - where as the pick-up that one didn't get hald the attention, and (in my opinion) it was really nasty! Hate to see Minilights and arches and crappy bucket seats on a pickup - but perhaps thats just me (oh it was also 15 years newer).

Hey ho! Sour grapes maybe, but showing at a Mini Show is not as much fun as the classics.
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:20 am

I know what you mean. I spent two evenings scrubbing up my wiper motor and thought it looked mint. That weekend I went to Himley Hall and saw the show and shines there and realised that I had nothing in comparison.

I can only guess that they take their's out and acid dip it before the show.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:46 am

I know what you mean too. I put mine in the Pride of Ownership at Bingley. first prize went to a trailered Mini.
No tax and I presume no road insurance, never used blah blah. A case of competing against cheque books?

However I have heard that they are considering two classes of prizes in the future. Trailered and Non trailered. (God only knows how long the presentation sessions are going to take,they are too long now ! LOL)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:54 am

DyNoRod wrote:Nope, I don't think my car would ever win at a show like that! The entrants are just mental, clean clean clean, at least 5 of them had brough there own special display stands! Dont get me wrong, my car was clean and defo good enough for a 2nd place (and the only Elf / Hornet in the variants class) - but the others (pimped vans and pick-ups) were just mental clean! I have waxoil under my wheel arches - try getting that clean! I might have to skips ones like this - too depressing!

My only satisfaction came from having stack of people complimenting my car and chatting to me - where as the pick-up that one didn't get hald the attention, and (in my opinion) it was really nasty! Hate to see Minilights and arches and crappy bucket seats on a pickup - but perhaps thats just me (oh it was also 15 years newer).

Hey ho! Sour grapes maybe, but showing at a Mini Show is not as much fun as the classics.

I did try to warn you! Never mind, keep your chin up! I know exactly what you mean.

Unless you trailer it, never drive it and clean it with a toothbrush.... avoid concours at "big" mini shows at all costs, especially the ones organised by British Mini Club and MiniWorld - to avoid the pain!

Smaller Mini shows aren't too bad. I was surprised and delighted to win the Variants class at Bristol Mini Day earlier this year. You should try Malvern or any of the Andrew Greenwood shows - you always get a fair crack at the whip with those! But you will probably have even more luck at small village classic car gatherings and the like.

Don't get too downhearted - at least we drive our cars eh?

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:02 pm

TONYELF wrote: However I have heard that they are considering two classes of prizes in the future. Trailered and Non trailered. (God only knows how long the presentation sessions are going to take,they are too long now ! LOL)

Hi Tony,

How will they know what is trailered and what isn't???? The bloke who wins every show going in his "Meguiars sponsored" Mk1 Red Mini, trailers his, unloads up the road somewhere, and drives it a "short" journey into the shows. Denies it, when questioned. I challenged him directly at one show, while he was being judged, and he said had driven it about 100 miles to get to the show, when I had earlier driven by him while he was unloading it!!! So what do you do with people like that? I am sure there are many more like that.

I went to a classic show the other week and this box trailer turned up, out of it came an immaculate 1932 Riley. And I mean it was spotless! They pushed it out of the trailer, pushed it into it's show space. However, they did manage to start it and drive it 200 yards inot the show ring, where, guess what? It won best in show!!!!!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 pm

PASS!

I understand where you're coming from there. I just don't know. Sometimes for a long distance I have thought of trailering to a hotel where I may stay and drive it from there but that does not give me pleasure or a good feeling that I've made it under my own steam if you understand what I mean.
I take great pride in saying "I restored it myself and drove it here"

Last edited by TONYELF on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:32 pm

TONYELF wrote:PASS!

I understand where your'e coming from there. I just don't know. Sometimes for a long distance I have thought of trailering to a hotel where I may stay and drive it from there but that does not give me pleasure or a good feeling that I've made it under my own steam if you understand what I mean.
I take great pride in saying "I restored it myself and drove it here"

I'm with you Tony. I can't see the point of owning a classic car just to look at and only take to shows on a trailer. Don't get me wrong, I like to keep my cars clean and tidy but if that is what is needed to win shows then count me out.
Going back to Jase's/Rupert's film appearance earlier in the year and other similar events, that to me is far more interesting and worthy of a mention. Having said all that, DyNoRod's car is beautiful and one day I would like to get "UMB" somewhere near to this standard but I'll just keep dreaming for now.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 pm

I agree with both Tony and Andrew.

You get far more out of owning a "car" which is used for it's intended purpose, rather than a garden ornament! Not wishing to upset or offend any of our members who trailer theirs.... we are all different.

.....and without the use of a trailer, we wouldn't have had Nick's "beautiful" Heinz 57 at Bromley! Laughing

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

To true, mines been on a trailer a few times....mind you those were when it broke down Laughing
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down