Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paint colour

2 posters

Go down

paint colour Empty paint colour

Post  geoff Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi all
My 1963 Mk II Elf should (according to the pait list shown elswhere) be Cumberland Green GN35 - and it may well be, however I got some touch up made and this is shown as GN35 but it is darker than my car.
So I don't know if the mix is wrong or the (resprayed) car is not in fact GN35.
I think the respray is the correct colour as it looks the same as the interior - so I wonder if this car was actually not painted in GN35. Can someone please tell me where the paint code is shown on the car - and can anyone confirm that the '63 MkII Elf was actually painted in that colour.
Thanks in advance
Geoff

geoff

Back to top Go down

paint colour Empty Re: paint colour

Post  CamelotR Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:26 pm

According to my best source (Lindsay Porter's mini restoration book) the MkII Elf was only available in Cumberland Green and no other shade. The MkII Hornet had the "Glen Green" and "Island Green" variants. At least if we can accept this as a truth.

Todays color mixtures cab easily differ from the 60s. Soo if You have any original paint sample on Your car, use it as a template (best preserved places are hidden from water and sunlight ie under door trim, behind tank, above roof lining etc).

Good luck with the car!

By the way, if You decide not to use the modern mixture, but rather have one made after template, it may be a good idea to have some extra for future repairs. In a sealed container it will remain useable for a long time.

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum