Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elf Mk 3 fuel tank and pump.

3 posters

Go down

Elf Mk 3 fuel tank and pump. Empty Elf Mk 3 fuel tank and pump.

Post  tabitha Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi
I'm slowly putting my Riley Elf Mk3 (1968) back together to make sure it all works before getting it sprayed.
My problem is the car was semi dismantled when I bought it and a lot of stuff is guess work!!
I've come to fit the fuel tank and can't figure out where the retaining strap should bolt in. It's a 2 piece strap with a tensioning bolt. The one securing point is in the back of the rear seat, but for the life of me I just can't figure out where the other end should fasten as there doesn't seem to be an obvious hole or nut anywhere in sight! Any one got any ideas???
The other thing is, it has an electric fuel pump which should be mounted to the rear subframe. Once again there are no pre-drilled holes. But I was hoping to mount the pump inside the boot and was wondering if any of you had any advice/ideas about the practicalities of this and where would be the best place?
Cheers
Rich

Oh yeah I know this is a really simple problem.....but its the little things in life that can cause the most problems!!!
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Elf Mk 3 fuel tank and pump. Empty Re: Elf Mk 3 fuel tank and pump.

Post  Zef Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 pm

I'll be sticking my pump in the boot so go for it. I think the works rally mini's used to have a pump in the boot too. Very Happy
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:47 pm

The other hole should be to the rear of the subframe mount holes, near the join with the extension panel. You can just about make the hole out in this pic
Elf Mk 3 fuel tank and pump. Bootresto0022

Fuel pump wise, on the subframe there should be two 1/4" holes about 2 inches apart, the pump is mounted on the inside of the left-hand rear sub-frame side member that a bracket is bolted to, to which the fuel pump is mounted. H has his mounted in the boot behind the tank on the steel shelf - keeps it out of harms way and is easy to get to, but you need a lot of extra pipe work. (the works cars also had them mounted in the car under the rear seat!) Sorry no photo of this but I can get if you want

this is the little bracket

minispares

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  tabitha Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, got distracted!
Decided to just go for it, so put strap in roughly what I thought was the right place and drilled a bolt hole through the floor....amazingly it looks pretty close to where yours is!!
The fuel pump is now mounted to the back of the rear seat under boot board level! Bit of a tight squeeze but at least it shouldn't get knocked about by things being rammed in the boot!
Good news though...I finally started the Elf up this week! Started first time, which is astounding since it last ran about 18 months ago just before I stripped the car!! Since then it's been fitted with a different carb, different air filter, the oil filter was changed to the more modern screw on type, the dizzy was changed and the head was skimmed and converted to unleaded!! To say I was relieved when it started would be an understatement!!!
Now I just need to tinker with the engine a bit, do a bit more on the bodywork, spray it, refit the interior, get it through the Mot...........as my better half keeps telling me " It should be done in a week!!"
Rich
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum