Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanish Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet on sale...,with prohibitive prices!

2 posters

Go down

Spanish Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet on sale...,with prohibitive prices! Empty Spanish Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet on sale...,with prohibitive prices!

Post  albertriley Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:44 am

Hi to this sympathetic peolpe again!!.

As I told to all your yesterday, I ´ve found two Spanish adds with two cars on sale. These two cars have got its original Spanish registration number and they are LHD...,as you can observe in the attached internet pages. The Riley was seen by me one week ago, and the car is in a good condition...,but I could observe some little differences in some things: the car is extremely low (Hydrolastic in bad condition, maybe, or lowered suspension?), the handle of the gearchange lever is "metallic" (like a tunning car!), and the levers that control the flashing lights and the high beam ligths are from a first Spanish Mini (build by Authi in Landaben, Pamplona). I suspect that this change could have been made because the car,when arrived in Spain (it´s a model bulit in 1965...,I think, but registered in Barcelona in 1966,when the MK2 English model was introduced...,am I right?) possibly had the rigth steering wheel, and when changed to left hand steering all the direction mechanisms was borrowed form the Spanish Mini...,I think.

It has fitted a rev counter as well (a "perfect and classical" SMITH...,of course!).

But,as you can observe (despite the add is in Spanish...) that the price is very high...,too much I think for a car like this. Again, I think that your models are much more cheap and interesting than the "rare" Spanish one. People in my country make advantatge of this "unknown" car...,but why, I ask?.

The other two models, the Wolseley, is located in Tenerife island, Spain. In this country it was very common, in the past, that arrive cars like these because the ease in the import...,very different in the rest of Spain in those years. And, as you can observe as well, the "British green" (was it an original colour in UK models?. I don´t think so...) has fitted a Minilite alloy wheels and a Nardi steering wheel...,and its price is a little high yet...

And the another Riley, this one a MK2 model (also found in Tenerife island...), the red one (with an automatic gearchange...,very curious, doesn´t it?) it has a good "appearance" (note the unique flashing-haigh beam lights coming form another Spanish Mini because of the possible changing of the sterring wheel. I think all the British models had the same lever that the one mounted in MK 1 models...,am I right?) ...,but with the a price a little more "competitive"...,but expensive comparing with the British models!.

I put the pages for your comments...

http://www.segundamano.es/barcelona/mini-riley-elf-mkii/a20732952/?ca=3_s&st=a&c=4

http://www.segundamano.es/sta-cruz-tenerife/mini-riley-elf/a20342311/?ca=3_s&st=a&c=4

http://www.milanuncios.com/motor/wolseley-hornet.htm

Well...this is all. I´d like your opinion in observing these 3 Spanish models...,and if is a good worth buy a Brithish model and enjoying in England though one time in a month!.

BR!!.

albertriley

Back to top Go down

Spanish Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet on sale...,with prohibitive prices! Empty Re: Spanish Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet on sale...,with prohibitive prices!

Post  Elf Service Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 am

Belated welcome to the Register.
These cars look good but it's hard to judge from a small photo. There is no substitute for viewing the cars and taking them for a test drive. All basic stuff I know but emotions shouldn't take over from reality. As you say, the prices are very high and I'm sure if you really have your heart set on buying either a Hornet or Elf, there is a better selection available in the UK and at more sensible prices. Rust is the big thing to consider with UK cars so you may need to be patient if you are looking for a good example. Most of the rust prone areas are the same as the Mini and other panels specific to these models can usually be salvaged with some creative metalwork and careful welding. It really depends on your budget and how much work you wish to take on. I'm sure with E and H register members located around the UK, if you find a car on eBay or where ever and would like one of the members to check the car over before coming over from Spain. just ask and I'm sure you will get the help you need.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Spanish Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet on sale...,with prohibitive prices! Empty Re: Spanish Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet on sale...,with prohibitive prices!

Post  albertriley Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:15 am

Good night to everybody!!.

Again, many tanks to everybody...,especially a elfservice, because without knowing each other, his good help makes in looking for a Riley/Wolseley makes me think that English people are the best, the most sympathetic ones...,definitively...,I´m sorrounded by the best people that I´ve known in my live!.

When I own my car I promise I´ll make a visit to all yours in England and sorroundings with my car...,driving form Spain to your country...,an interesting and unforgettable experience!.

Well...,concerning to the prices of these cars in Spain, it is true that the people put these high proces ´couse they´re "rare" cars here..,but I´m not agree because it´s a Mini...,well, I´d rather say, a "luxurious" one.For that reason, I can understand wy these cars have got a very competitive price in UK...,though it´s very important bear in mind with the corrosion.

I hope I can find a well made unit...,without any hurry..,and of course, with your very valuable cooperation.

BR!!.

albertriley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down