Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames...

+5
DyNoRod
autohornet
RobBFG
Red Riley
discoman41
9 posters

Go down

Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames... Empty Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames...

Post  discoman41 Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Right, when we removed the chrome that goes around the top of the door, during strip down, we found that the trim was "glued" on rather than riveted...

Upon trying to re-affix, I was initially told that the pop rivets which the trim then clips onto were no longer availaible, so I tried to "glue" back on, which to be honest, looked gash! So, undeterred I managed to source some rivets. Applied the rivets (after cleaning all the glue off) and tried to clip the trip back on, but no matter what I try, I can't get it to sit flush, and capture all of the rivets, and it looks even worse than when it was glued on! (Maybe that's why it was glued on in the first place???) But, I want it done properly. I have already managed to chip some of the nice new paintwork around the door trim (grr...), so any tips would be welcome.

Do you guys think I need to get some new trim? If so, where do I get it?

Cheers

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames... Empty Re: Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames...

Post  Red Riley Thu May 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Somerford shows the trim and the rivet. Might be worth giving them a call.
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=page&id=44
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames... Empty Re: Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames...

Post  RobBFG Thu May 13, 2010 6:39 pm

I've just tried putting mine back on today as well. They were riveted on originally and didn't look too bad, but like you I had issues getting them back on. The corners still don't seem to want to sit flat for some reason.

The simple version of what I did was:
Slide one end (front or back) down along the rivets so the first straight is done the easy way, just need to be careful with the paint.
For the other two sides get the inside edge under the edge of the rivet and push the strip out over the rivet.

I managed to chip the paint at the bottom front of the driver's door, and a little nick at the top as well.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  autohornet Thu May 13, 2010 8:54 pm

I have just done the chrome trim on both doors despite after carefully drilling out the old fixings managed to lose five.There are two different fixings that hold it on,the bottom two (first hole nearest the window trim either side of the window frame)are flat and bigger, the rest are small circular clips.To fit you slide the trim onto the bottom two and then working round press the trim onto the circular ones.You can get the circular clips from Mini Spares and the big ones from Sommerford Mini.But a few words of advice if you are using the later non stapled chrome outer window trim some tweeking will be needed where the two trims meet also when dealing with Sommerford I bought the two large trim clips at about 75p but postage for these clips and rivits was £3.50!I think I have a couple of trims spare I'll check.
Mark

autohornet

Back to top Go down

Chrome Around Top Of The Door Frames... Empty Door Trim

Post  DyNoRod Thu May 13, 2010 10:05 pm

The issue I found is that the modern rivets are smaller than the original type and don't hold as well. I did wonder if the modern repro chrome trims might work better with the new rivets, as I dont remember having the same issue when I did this to my Mini. However, as I had good original chrome I didnt want to throw money at what might have turned out to be a incorrect guess!

In the end I put a small amount of sikaflex on each of the rivets so the trim is glued and clipped, and I had to do the same on the skuttle trim (although god knows how that is holding on). It did result in a few little marks in the chrome but it looks ok!

My current issue is with the side trim that goes over the arches! The lip isnt great, and the fluted stuff doesnt want to hold on, and the simple stuff kinks like a bi%6*ch
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Fri May 14, 2010 10:45 am

DyNoRod wrote:The issue I found is that the modern rivets are smaller than the original type and don't hold as well. I did wonder if the modern repro chrome trims might work better with the new rivets, as I dont remember having the same issue when I did this to my Mini. However, as I had good original chrome I didnt want to throw money at what might have turned out to be a incorrect guess!

m-machine (mini machine as was)used to make their own brass buttons because of this issue - might be worth giving them a try to see if they still do - 01325 381300 from memory - I keep trying to trace original size ones but to no avail - everything seems to be metric now and on trim that few thou difference is a lot. The front scuttle always was a pain to put on and remove, which is why most of the trims are bent !. One of the recurring issues I keep having with the clips for the side and scuttle trims is the new clips do not allow for tolerance variation in the gap they fit into, so some trims can be loose or tight and the trim may need "adjusting" carefully affraid to get the correct channel size for a better fit -7.1mm is the supposed gap

Not sure if you have done so - but plenty of making tape (preferably lower tack stuff) around the paint work may help reduce chips and swearing

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri May 14, 2010 11:26 am

I was fortunate with the clips on the doors, I left them on!
Just had to remove a bit of spray paint to allow the trim to slide back on.

I bought some side trim clips off Catmint and had to "crimp" The trims slightly ie Pinch them using a strong rag and mole grips! The mole grips were "set" to a trial width first to ensure a good fit but not too tight, once set I was able to pinch the entire lengths of all the trims. I used the rag obviously to prevent mole grip marks and the trim was "pinched" ACROSS the width NOT the Edges.(PM me if you need a sketch and I will email it to you)

The only problem I had was the trim along the door alongside the sliding glass runners. The chap who re-skinned the door did not grind the old skin off and folded the new one over it so it was double the thichness it was supposed to be! This meant the trim clips would not fit.
Problem was solved by using Clear window sealant as an adhesive. It works. They have been on almost 2 years now!
You could use this method to Stick your bonnet spears on if bolts are u/s (stop it rattling as well!) Excess sealant can be rubbed off with fingers when set.

Thank you Gordon, for your help and suggestions when I contacted you regarding the clips!
Do you mean use masking tape over the mouth to stop the swearing? Very Happy
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Fri May 14, 2010 1:09 pm

TONYELF wrote:I was fortunate with the clips on the doors, I left them on!
Just had to remove a bit of spray paint to allow the trim to slide back on.

I bought some side trim clips off Catmint and had to "crimp" The trims slightly ie Pinch them using a strong rag and mole grips! The mole grips were "set" to a trial width first to ensure a good fit but not too tight, once set I was able to pinch the entire lengths of all the trims. I used the rag obviously to prevent mole grip marks and the trim was "pinched" ACROSS the width NOT the Edges.(PM me if you need a sketch and I will email it to you)

Thanks Tony, and everyone else. I will try the mole grip method. I got the pop rivets ok inc. the two special ones for sliding on. I also had to make a minor adjustment on the window channel strip (shortening it by about 5 mm) I think the main problem I have is that the trims themselves appear to have either warped on twisted (presumably having been held on with glue for years!?) and that's why the last couple of rivets on each door are so much out. I think I will just get them on as best as I can until I can get some better trims. or at least ones that aren't warped.

Interesting point Tony, about the bonnet spear. Since resto, mine is held on by one bolt as the other sheered off on refit, and I have noticed a rather annoying "tinny" rattle on tickover, and I am now thinking it maybe the spear!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Fri May 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Pretty sure you can get the correct rivets from Bresco.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Sat May 15, 2010 3:32 am

asahartz wrote:Pretty sure you can get the correct rivets from Bresco.

I got the correct rivets, just a warping issue to contend with!
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat May 15, 2010 9:54 am

Just have to do a bit of gentle persuasion and twist it back a bit at a time until it lies flat on a surface I'm afraid
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 pm

so glad you guys could answer all this, 'cos i'm a bit too wired right now to have typed nearly half that without a few dozen typos! cheers
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down