Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interior wanted

4 posters

Go down

Interior wanted Empty Interior wanted

Post  348ts Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 am

My original 1961 Elf is at the point where I think it should be restored. I trying to source an interior ...The car is original color...primose yellow with the bluesh/green roof.
This Elf (35,XXX genuine miles)....has been stored since 1973. The brown/white houndstooth cloth is quite worn...the blue leather isn't bad..can get that locally (dyed to suit)
Anyone know of an after market supplier for the cloth? Have considered getting a local weaver to weave a few yards.
I do have some surplus parts...original parts that I bought in the UK back in the 80's...may want to sell some. Have a few bonnet spears...couple of grilles etc.
Other odds and ends.

348ts

Back to top Go down

Interior wanted Empty Re: Interior wanted

Post  Elf Service Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 am

348ts wrote:My original 1961 Elf is at the point where I think it should be restored. I trying to source an interior ...The car is original color...primose yellow with the bluesh/green roof.
This Elf (35,XXX genuine miles)....has been stored since 1973. The brown/white houndstooth cloth is quite worn...the blue leather isn't bad..can get that locally (dyed to suit)
Anyone know of an after market supplier for the cloth? Have considered getting a local weaver to weave a few yards.
I do have some surplus parts...original parts that I bought in the UK back in the 80's...may want to sell some. Have a few bonnet spears...couple of grilles etc.
Other odds and ends.

Any pics?

It sounds as though you have a very rare original Mk1 with half farbic half leather interior trim. The colour scheme is just as rare, with only a hand full left. Having briefly owned a similar Mk1 Elf with the Blue Leather and cloth trim, I looked for a suitable near match but without much luck. Another Elf owner in the UK has a similar car which is in the final stages of a complete restoration and he is after the same cloth. I can put you in touch with him to compare notes. Try to get a copy of Mini World May 2010 or June 2010 as there is a feature on a Mk1 Elf with the same colour scheme.

The side grills are different to the later models and I have a brand new set of inserts if you are interested. I can supply remanufactured bonnet spears again if you are interested.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  348ts Tue May 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks for your reponse. Where would I find the mag you referred to?
My Elf has all the parts...even have a few extra grilles etc. As I stated previusly,...I brought over boxes and boxes of parts in the early 80's during my trips to the UK. Have original spears...grilles everything I need. I have tons of Mini parts.....4 Cooper 'S' here ranging from 61 to a late RHD 70 MK111.
I used to race a Longman S over here...still have brand new S cranks in the original boxes...many engines/gearboxes/heads etc.
So, only thing I will need is that fabric.
Please connect me with the other owner who has restored his yellow Elf.
Cheers

348ts

Back to top Go down

Interior wanted Empty Follow up

Post  348ts Tue May 11, 2010 8:37 pm

More info....when the Leyland dealership closed here I was able to get ALL of their original parts/body catalogues...MG/MINI?Austin/Morris etc.
I was looking in the Riley parts book today (Firss edition AKD 3072)...it shows the Riley Elf starting at body #R-A2SI (L OR R)...#156861.
My car is R-A2SIL 243360...Anyone know when this would have beem made??? I was told it may be around Sept 1961!!!!.

My car is a Left hand drive...I remember the dealer telling me years ago that this Riley arrived here by mistake as they were never exported to Canada. It was sold to an elderly lady here in town...I bought the car from her and have had it since.
It is a genuine imported LHD Elf....anyone have any idea as to where this series should have gone to????
Thanks

348ts

Back to top Go down

Interior wanted Empty Flollow up 1

Post  348ts Tue May 11, 2010 8:42 pm

FYI...the parts book shows my car as Chartreuse yellow code YL2 and the roof is Florentine Blue code BU7...

348ts

Back to top Go down

Interior wanted Empty Interior

Post  DyNoRod Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 pm

I found Newton Commercial very helpful when I had my interior restored - they didnt do the right coloured red leather from standard stock, so they found some special to match the original colours - it cost 20% more but I thought it was worth it. I would try them in the first instance.

Ad
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 am

348ts wrote:FYI...the parts book shows my car as Chartreuse yellow code YL2 and the roof is Florentine Blue code BU7...
From your description, this could be one of only 12 press cars produced in late 1961 . These pre-production cars had the front wing and A panel seam removed which matched the rear wing arrangement but proved too costly to replicate when full production started in early 1962.
Check out the July addition of Mini World as it features a Chartreuse Yellow and Florentine Blue Mk1 Elf with, from your description, the same interior trim. This is an early 1962 production car, with the traditional external wing to A panel seam.
I will contact the UK owner of the other Mk1 Elf with the same trim and with his approval send you his details.

Andrew
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 pm

We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down