Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring mount for Boot Badge

2 posters

Go down

Spring mount for Boot Badge Empty Spring mount for Boot Badge

Post  bmcelf Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 pm

I finally got a good boot badge and I don't want to damage it in mounting. Good badges are too hard to find and to expensive to risk damage.

I am using a spring under the mounting nut to hold it tight without stressing the stud or badge. The spring is 3/4" long with a 1/4" hole on one end. It will compress to ~1/8" with 5 pounds of force. The nut is a thin lock nut. (I used this technique on my MG.)

Jim

Spring mount for Boot Badge Badgemounting

Spring mount for Boot Badge Badgemounting2

Spring mount for Boot Badge Bootbadge

Last edited by bmcelf on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct link)
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Spring mount for Boot Badge Empty Re: Spring mount for Boot Badge

Post  Elf Service Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 pm

bmcelf wrote:I finally got a good boot badge and I don't want to damage it in mounting. Good badges are too hard to find and to expensive to risk damage.

I am using a spring under the mounting nut to hold it tight without stressing the stud or badge. The spring is 3/4" long with a 1/4" hole on one end. It will compress to ~1/8" with 5 pounds of force. The nut is a thin lock nut. (I used this technique on my MG.)

Jim

Spring mount for Boot Badge Badgemounting

Spring mount for Boot Badge Badgemounting2

Spring mount for Boot Badge Bootbadge

Hi Jim

This is the earlier type badge and is stronger than the later Aluminium version. I have simply used a flat washer and old used Nyloc nut. I would certainly consider your approach with the later badge or if the thread was worn or damaged. Good idea either way.

Andrew
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down