Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Tips Needed - Headliner

5 posters

Go down

Top Tips Needed - Headliner Empty Top Tips Needed - Headliner

Post  DyNoRod Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:10 am

So with the news that my body is coming back from the painters on the 29th March, I am getting excited and making lists of jobs.... One of the early jobs (after the wiring loom etc) is to put the glass in, and brand new headliner!

So does anyone have any top tips for putting in a headliner? Its the original plastick crackle one from Newton Comm - also interested to hear what glue you would suggest, as I heard a rhumor that it can show through it you use the wrong stuff.

So heat gun is ready!!!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Top Tips Needed - Headliner Empty Re: Top Tips Needed - Headliner

Post  TONYELF Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Firstly allow yourself a day at least to do this and makes sure you are calm! this took me three attempts as I hadn't noticed the different colours of the ends of the metal supports as the lining was smoke damaged after a flashback fire in the Elf and the lining tore as I was taking it out! Sad

I hope you kept the old liner and noted the position of the different colours on the ends of the metal supports?
Each support loop is cut open a different length at each end and the new one cut open the same, this gives the curvature of the lining when it's in position.
Start by inserting the supports (make sure they are clean to avoid staining) You may find "Sparkle" aerosol spray a great helping doing this.
Insert the supports in their respective holes starting front or back,(which ever you find the easiest.)

Whilst holding the first support upright. starting at front, clip the headling to the front screen aperture with bulldog clips or the clips used for the seat covers (you can buy these new and are better than bulldog clips)
pull the lining gently towards the rear of car and as you do this, clip the lining at each side evenly to the door aperture working your way to the back... You may have to trim the lining a little to facilitate this but don't cut too much off until you are satisfied with the fit.

You should be careful not to allow the supports to "slope" towards the rear although depending on the accuracy of the stitching of the loops in the lining you may have to allow the supports to lean back slightly.

If you are happy that the lining is fairly taut then you can remove some of the clips and use spray adhesive which can be bought from most factors and put the clips back temporarily until the adhesive sets.
Excess spray can be moved with turps. Hope this helps!

I wanted perfection and had nightmares about it.I have a few wrinkles at the rear supports. A hot gun did not help here so try a offcut first to see if it shrinks (mine did not from Newton) In the end I thought "To hell with it! no one gets in acar and looks at the headling,not even those who sit in the back,they look forwards or sideways!!!"

Good luck! (A local fitter wanted the Elf for Three days and £150 to do it!)

PS. It helps to have someone to help too! Don't forget to have a decent cushion to sit on. The Elf has some uncomfortable protruding bits ! LOL Very Happy
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:16 am

Yo Dyno

My additional tip would be to insert a strip (1.5cm wide - 1/2" in christian units!) to support the headling in way of the "B" Pillars. As it comes you will have a raw edge dangling down between the door and rear side window seals. By folding and evosticking the lining material around the card strip (good olde cornflakes packet!) you will have a nice neat edge to the lining. Hopefully the displayed sketch will convey what I mean:::

Top Tips Needed - Headliner ElfHL

Cheers

SuperW

Last edited by superworm on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : re-instate picture)
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 am

Thats a good idea although I did not have any trouble on the B post. Smile
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Top Tips Needed - Headliner Empty Headcloth

Post  DyNoRod Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:37 am

Thanks for all this, great tips! I have aquired seatclips just for the job.

Can I also ask what glue you used?
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 am

I used Evo-Stik (not sure that its as good as it used to be!) ....screwfix may have the spray adhesive that Tony used - check their website/catalogue
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:39 am

I have a feeling that Evostick will stain. try it on a spare piece first.
Have just noticed photobucket have deleted the tip a couple of threads back. I'm getting realy pi**ed off with photobucket for doing this.
What do other s think?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Take care to use glue thats a bit of temperature resistant. At least it needs to be good up to 70 degrees (on a summer day about lunchtime on the beach...).

I am using theese with success:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-TRIMFIX-SPRAY-GLUE-contact-adhesive-carpet-motorhome_W0QQitemZ130352778616QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH?hash=item1e59a18d78

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:33 am

Hi Tony -

Have just noticed photobucket have deleted the tip a couple of threads back. I'm getting realy pi**ed off with photobucket for doing this.
What do other s think?.

it would appear that I may have inadvertently deleted the headlining piccy from my Photobucket album....so I've purrit back !!!! 'appen can't blame the 'bucket for this one!!!!!
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:06 am

As Cpt Mainwaring "Stooopid boy!" Very Happy
Of course you have to agree the copyright is yours to use but if photobucket see fit they still delete pics if they think you're advertising? thye have done it on many forums.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Top Tips Needed - Headliner Empty Headcloth

Post  DyNoRod Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 pm

Just a note to thank everyone for the advise. It went in the car, however I have to confess to not being very happy with the final fit, however it will do for this summer to get the car back on the road, and I will get a professional to do it again over the winter - cheers all
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm not 100% happy but when I sat in the back to assess the job. All ahead and to both sides looked good, then I thought,!"Who the hell looks at the lining when sitting in back of car?" (the lining is a little wrinckled at the rear corners)
I've glued it around the rear window so I doubt I will want to remove rear window to try and straighten it out,then put window back (especially as it is watertight now!)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Top Tips Needed - Headliner Empty Job

Post  DyNoRod Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:17 am

Its not a job I would ever want to do again - worried to cut in the wrong places, scared commit to the glue part, it looks ok, but far from perfect, tight front to back tho! lol - I also glued it to the screens!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:13 pm

I've only ever done one headlining, but I cheated by using a second-hand headlining which made it a pretty easy fit.

I thought someone had fitted a black headlining in my Mini Neon, but when I looked closely today I discovered it's been painted! Not sure what with, but it works.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum