Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indicator problems

3 posters

Go down

Indicator problems Empty Indicator problems

Post  RobBFG Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:20 am

Hi all. Only my second post on the forum and I'm asking for help!

I seem to have an intermitent fault in the indicator wiring. When I use the indicators the yellow lights in the speedo flash to show the direction and the end of the stalk flashes too. Sometimes I get nothing, sometimes the speedo light flashes but not the stalk. I don't know at the moment if the outside lights are affected or not, it's working fine on the driveway. I can hear a relay going when the stalk flashes, but I guess that's what drives the stalk light.

I haven't had time to go looking deep into the inner workings yet as I'm still trying to sort out the remains of my Cooper. Is there a best place to start looking for a fault or am I just best off trying to follow the whole system?
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Indicator problems Empty Re: Indicator problems

Post  TONYELF Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:16 pm

You mention water in the dizzy and that tells me you may have water in your indicators too which is causing a short and the yellow light in the dash is (maybe?) the charging indicator? So where else has damp got in? ! affraid

As you say you haven't had chance to do a good check over so obviously you have a lot to do! Very Happy

Good luck with that and please do share your finds so that others can use your info and please put some piccy's up when you get the chance.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Flasher is lighting the end of the stalk only - I mean normaly.

The yellow light should indicate the oil fillter clogged. It is connected to a switch incorporated in the fillter housing (if present). I would suggest checking the ground point on the speedo and on the gauges.[/quote]

Last edited by CamelotR on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 am

Indicator problems IMGP1920

I'm suspecting that the wiring has been changed from standard then.

Either side of the fuel gauge are the blue 'high beam' and red 'ignition' lights that work as I expect.
At the sides under the 20 and 80 are two yellow lights. Currently they flash with the indicators to show left or right.
But now I notice the green light above the fifty which I haven't seen lit but, if I remember correctly, on my 1983 Mini City it was the one that showed the indicators were working.

I have now proved that if the corresponding yellow light is flashing then that side's indicators are flashing. The indicators are more reluctant on the right side than left, and the stalk light is more reluctant on the right too.

I can find no sign of damp or wet anywhere I wouldn't want it, though there are some water marks on the inside of the windscreen.

Do you know when the oil filter light was introduced as I can see no evidence to support it's existence on my Elf at the moment? It might just be that I don't quite know what I'm looking for.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:33 am

Afaik oil fillter warning light was an optional fittment on mkI minis/mkI-III Elfs-Hornets. It was used untill late '67.

The yellow lights were never udes as left-right signal. The top green was used as flasher indicator.

The system on Lexy is definiatly non-original as the speedo itself is not correct for age (it is a post '67 unit). The date is stamped in it, soo You may check it.

I think it is some kind of modification. Easily restorable, but I think it is fun soo I would keep it.

Different operation of the sides may be caused by the flasher unit fault (inexpensive item) or by different power bulbs in the system or most likely by ground related problems (a the lamps or at the gauge). OR maybe some connection fault somewhere in the system. Nothing serious, but may take a little time to find the bug.

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:37 am

Thats a mk I mini speedo like.

Note that it is missing the green light at the top as on mkI minis (and mkI-II and early III Elfs and Hornets) the flasher operation was indicated on the end of the stalk.

Indicator problems Imgp0510

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum