Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonnet Unlocking Cable

5 posters

Go down

Bonnet Unlocking Cable Empty Bonnet Unlocking Cable

Post  RomanHornet Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:01 am

In the process of the rebuild, I'd like to know how was the inner pull done for the bonnet unlocking mechanism. In the Drivers Manual there is very little mention, and I can't find any pics of it. Can anyone help, please? Thank you. Paul

RomanHornet

Back to top Go down

Bonnet Unlocking Cable Empty Re: Bonnet Unlocking Cable

Post  Red Riley Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 am

Do you have all of the parts for it? One of the Haynes or other Workshop Manuals should show it, although it's one of those areas where they don't go into detail.
Mine says this: 1. Undo the two screws and remove the lock assembly. 2. Refitting is the reverse of removal.
So I hope you were paying attention when it came off!

Mine wouldn't keep the bonnet shut, so I replaced the Elf sliding type lock with a newer Mini lever type. It works way better! Somerford Mini has the parts for both types in their catalog, but I don't know if the Elf ones are available. I used this kit from Mini Spares: Bonnet Cable Lock
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RomanHornet Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm

RedRiley, I forgot to mention that what I was interested in was the pull handle in the cabin, not the actual mechanism. I.E. I will need some pics of how the actual pull handle is made. Is it "T" shaped? In the manual it looks more like a blank choke cable...

RomanHornet

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:08 pm

RomanHornet wrote:RedRiley, I forgot to mention that what I was interested in was the pull handle in the cabin, not the actual mechanism. I.E. I will need some pics of how the actual pull handle is made. Is it "T" shaped? In the manual it looks more like a blank choke cable...
I've got my original one and an extra Mini one in the garage. I'll take a look this morning.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 pm

RomanHornet wrote:RedRiley, I forgot to mention that what I was interested in was the pull handle in the cabin, not the actual mechanism. I.E. I will need some pics of how the actual pull handle is made. Is it "T" shaped? In the manual it looks more like a blank choke cable...
Correct, my Mk 2 is like the round choke cable and is mounted under the middle rail on right. (I suppose on left hand side if lefthand drive?) with the word BONNET across the centre
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bonnet Unlocking Cable Empty bonnet unlocking cable

Post  hudnormsue852 Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi have a look on mini spares web site (www.minispares.com) it sould be around part no GS1302373 I say this because I`ve got an old catalogu, hope this helps let me know as I`ve got some other roads we could go down regards Steve
hudnormsue852
hudnormsue852

Back to top Go down

Post  RomanHornet Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help. To sum it up, at I am really after is a round-knobbed bonnet mechanism cable, with the word BONNET across. Can anybody help me? the mechanism itself it's there, I just miss the cable. Thanks guys (and girls!)

RomanHornet

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Which one do you want?
Bonnet Unlocking Cable Img_0310Bonnet Unlocking Cable Img_0311Bonnet Unlocking Cable Img_0312Bonnet Unlocking Cable Img_0313
The one on the left in the 2nd and 3rd pics is a new replacement. You might have to cut the part off of the end of the cable to fit it. The one on the right is what was on my Elf when I got it. The cable is still good, but the housing is a bit worn.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bonnet Unlocking Cable Empty bonnet unlocking cable

Post  hudnormsue852 Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi the one you want is no longer avalable (round with the word BONNET on it) the replacement is the 2nd one in reds pic, avalable from www.minispares.com compleat kit part no GS130273 £27.77 cable only part no FSE10020 £9.40, hope this helps
hudnormsue852
hudnormsue852

Back to top Go down

Post  RomanHornet Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks for your offer RedRiley, but I am doing quite a thorough job with the resto of the Roman Hornet, and will rather wait until a miracle happens, like someone offering a battered one to me, for a proper amount. The stone is thrown! I will score eBay in the meantime.... Many thanks!

RomanHornet

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I have just done this part. Let me know what detail You would like to see on photo.

Bonnet Unlocking Cable Imgp1910

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  RomanHornet Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:17 am

Attaboy, CamelotR, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Would'nt possibly happen that you would sell the whole set? I am maily interested in the cable, but having all the bits would'nt hurt either! Thanks!

RomanHornet

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 am

Sorry, I can only provide photos if You need, as this was restored for my project.

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  RomanHornet Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Sure CameloR, I thought so. Very kind with your help and photos, you all guys. I will now post an ad, asking for the cable. Before this, I had'nt a single clue of what was I needing! Now I have and idea and a picture. I will be back with more questions. Cheers! Paul

RomanHornet

Back to top Go down

Post  RomanHornet Mon May 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi all, just a quick note to say that I was finally able to find the proper cable on eBay, and I am now restoring the lettering on it...
Many thanks to all!
Paul

RomanHornet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum