Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from North Carolina and looking for an Elf III

4 posters

Go down

Hello from North Carolina and looking for an Elf III Empty Hello from North Carolina and looking for an Elf III

Post  bmcelf Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:45 am

I am new to the Elf forum but not Little British Cars. I have an MGA that I personally restored. I got a first place at the NAMGAR national GT this year. My MGA is a driver and not a trailer queen but good enough to win.

So it is time for a new project. I settled on the Elf III and a good candidate. I believe in origionality not a lot of modification and "upgrades". I thought I had a car but the seller and I couldn't agree on a price. It was a reasonably solid '68 Elf III from New Zealand but living in the upper US for the last 7 years. It had some rust issues high mileage and some chrome missing or damaged but not worth half the $8900 he wanted.

I am still looking for a car that is original and priced reasonably.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Carolina and looking for an Elf III Empty Re: Hello from North Carolina and looking for an Elf III

Post  Red Riley Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:08 am

Was that the car in Michigan on Ebay? JR in Florida had one of his for sale a while back, not sure if he sold it. Seems like prices are going sky high lately. I guess due to an increase in interest in the classic Minis, all of a sudden people think they are sitting on a fortune, and try to get big bucks.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Carolina and looking for an Elf III Empty Re: Hello from North Carolina and looking for an Elf III

Post  bmcelf Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 am

Yea, it was the car in Michigan. I had a local MGA guy inspect it and it had several undisclosed issues. I think the brown automatic car that got "no bids" on Ebay was sold to a guy in Tennessee in a private sale. The Colorado car on Ebay got in a bidding war before and bid up TOO far but the sale wasn't completed. Back up now at $8950.

I agree the modified Mini prices have pumped up the value that people think they have in an original car. But I am am still looking for an original Elf III.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:40 am

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy!
$8900 is way over prices for an Elf/Hornet, even a concourse model!
A 1968 Elf would be in the region of £2500 over here and even then would have to be exceptional! Red Riley is correct in saying people think they are sitting on a fortune especially as it is the minis 50th Birthday this year and the Elfs/Hornets being in the minority!
good luck in your search and do keep in touch with your progress.
My Elf is one of the few bog standard Elf's around as I want to keep it original
This is the link to my photobucket.Sorry its a bit disorganised I will set up a slide show one day!

https://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t45/TONYELF-2006/riley%20elf%20restoration/?start=100

Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:09 am

That car in Michigan that I was looking at is relisted on Ebay for $4,500 without reserve. Item # 300345702994 . I have an inspection report on it if anyone is interested. I am happy with my Elf that is on the way to me.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:22 am

My Elf has been held hostage by Customs in Charleston, SC for the past week. I just got a release and hope to pick it up in a couple days. Importing a car is not an easy process for a novice.

The Elf in Michigan finally sold on Ebay for $3,100. That is about right for the car.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 am

Good luck with customs,
My mate in Boston MA had similar problems and when he went to collect it they(customs) had closed for the day (locking the gate when he arrived) He had driven for three hours to get there! When he went back the next day the paperwork was "not right" It was about three hours before they released the mini!
Hope you don't have any problems.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 am

good luck - hope it gets sorted soon!
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum