Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Studs & Bolts!

3 posters

Go down

Studs & Bolts! Empty Studs & Bolts!

Post  DyNoRod Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:19 am

Hi All,

I need to make up some new studs to hold the chrome sidelight grill surrounds to the front panel (they screw into the chrome surround), Im guessing I just need to buy a lenght fo threaded bar and cut some lenghts! However, does anyone know what the threads are? and any suggestions on a good supplier of threaded bar?

Ad
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Studs & Bolts! Empty Re: Studs & Bolts!

Post  catmint Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:09 pm

IIRC it is 2BA - try BF Wade (Bernie the Bolt) 01226 370860. He will happily check for you if you send a sample through, plus he does stainless.

Gordon

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Studs & Bolts! Empty Bar

Post  DyNoRod Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 am

Thats catmint - IIRC 2BA (is that what I should google then?)
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:47 am

Yo Dyno

Methinks I agree with the 2BA - I'll check tomorrow but it could also be No.10 UNF (about 3/16" nominal" similar to 2 BA.)

go to Tesco to see the difference!!!

http://homepages.tesco.net/~A10bsa/bago.htm

If you do a general Google you probably will find that you need to buy a relatively large (and expensive) quantity from most steel stockholders. However if you go to a Model Engineering Materials Supplier, you will probably find just the right amount. BTW there is nothing wrong with using brass for this application - it won't rot either!!.

Try Reeves ferinstance:

https://vault1.secured-url.com/reeves2000/shop_item.asp?sub_cat_id=250&page=2

I've used these folk in my steam loco building forays (or should that be affrays!!!!) and they are good to deal with. They are near Birmingham if you're close but they will do mail order.

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Studs & Bolts! Empty Cheers

Post  DyNoRod Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:01 am

Thanks for the help chaps! I got two lengths of bar from the model shop you suggested, perfect!

Does anyone know what size the threads are on the new overriders supplied by Cherrington? I want to replace the bolts with stainless.

Ad
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 pm

OOps - Sorry Dyno, meant to answer this earlier - went on vaction and forgot!!!

Bryan Cherrington's overiders require metric fine coarse screws (not bolts) M8 (x 1.25 mm pitch) and approx 75 mm long. You will also need the corresponding nuts to act as locknuts. If you can't get your stainless fasteners locally, you can try Wrights Auto Supplies:

http://www.wrightsautosupplies.co.uk/

Wrights are very good at sourcing and supplying original UNF/UNC fasteners which are now as rare as rocking horse droppings at my usual fastener suppliers.

I usually wait 'til I get to one of the Classic Car Shows that they attend as their shipping cost is not insignificant.

Btw Bryan supplies the little rubber seats (or whatever we call them) that the prevent the overiders from marking the bumpers - all in his price....they are superb by the way and worth every penny....hope he can be persuaded to do more!!.

Seems more Elf/Hornet/Mini repro stuff is going metric - recently bought an external door hinge that had metric fasteners!!!!

Cheers
Edited Wednesday 29th July - Screws are Metric COARSE ( 8mm by 1,25 mm pitch) still approx 75 mm long (hope you haven't bought any yet Dyno!!!!

Sorry

Alan
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum