Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermostat Housing

5 posters

Go down

Thermostat Housing Empty Thermostat Housing

Post  sebillba Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi,
Has anyone got a spare nice condition thermostat housing / cover with the srew in part for the temperature guage sensor.
I am also looking for the bracket that goes round the dynamo that has the coil fitted on it.

I have been looking on the mini spares sights to try and find the rubber gromet that goes on the door post round the internal door hinge and have had no luck. Anyone know where sells them?
Cheers
Greg

Wolseley Hornet MK3 Automatic
sebillba
sebillba

Back to top Go down

Thermostat Housing Empty Re: Thermostat Housing

Post  TONYELF Fri May 15, 2009 5:52 pm

TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sebillba Fri May 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Yes it sort of does and sort of doesnt.!! Now I know more what to search on though, Thanks
sebillba
sebillba

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 pm

sebillba wrote:Hi,
Has anyone got a spare nice condition thermostat housing / cover with the srew in part for the temperature guage sensor.

It's available new - part number 12A408.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Thermostat Housing Empty Thermostat Housing

Post  Elf Service Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 am

The Elf and Hornet use a standard BMC Alloy housing as used on most 1960's A series engines. Some models encorporated temperature sersors but either way they use the same three stud fixing arrangement. There is a design fault with this arrangement in that the alloy housing and steel studs form an ideal situation for electrolytic corrosion (dissimilar metals etc) which more than often make to removal of the old housing difficult to almost impossible. The later Mini and Metro models over came this by using bolts, which screw directly into the cylinder head making removal far easier as the need to lift the housing over the three studs is eliminated. Having owned numerous BMC cars from mid 50's Austin A30, A35's to the last true Mini (I'm not into the young pretender BMW offering) I have found that when fitting a new housing, firstly make sure the studs are clean dry and free from corrosion (rust and or the remains of the old housing) then coat the studs and new housing with a generous layer of Copper Grease. This reduces the chance of future corrosion making maintenance a breeze should you need to replace the thermostat or gasket.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  sebillba Mon May 18, 2009 11:49 pm

[It's available new - part number 12A408.[/quote]
I tried somorford and they say its not available anymore so it looks like its a case of NOS somewhere or good secondhand anyone?
Greg
sebillba
sebillba

Back to top Go down

Thermostat Housing Empty thermo housing

Post  martin k Tue May 19, 2009 6:18 pm

i used a none sendered one then had it drilled and tapped to fit sender
martin k
martin k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content