Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Hi from Lancashire

2 posters

Go down

Another Hi from Lancashire Empty Another Hi from Lancashire

Post  superworm Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Jan et al

I have been a member of the Register for a couple of months so I guess its time I introduced myself.

I am an ex-Aeronautical Engineer - now retired - and have played with lots of Hairyplanes in my time including EE Lightning, TSR2, Concord (without the "e"!), Jaguar, Tornado, Typhoon, Lightning II, Boeing 737/47/57/67 and 777 together with a little dabble in Nimrods, Hawks and BAE146's. My interests also include R/C Model Aircraft and Model Engineering and ducking wifely thrown missiles.

My Elfie was purchased in 1968 as a means of carrying my then coming new daughter's push chair in the boot - couldn't do that with a Mini if it was raining!. It is my second Elf, the first one being a Mk1 of 848cc but which was modified by Downton Engineering before I bought it - its was good for over 105mph ("Full" on the fuel gauge) - and I proved it - in the days when the 70mph motorway limit was but a twinkle in Barbara Castle's eye (or was it Ernie Marple's eye?). This Elf held the class record at the Lancashire Automobile Club's Woodvale Sprint and it took 3 years and a 1275 "S" to knock it off the top spot. The Elf was sold to pay for an Engagement Ring (don't all groan at once!!!) and was subsequently replaced (after a couple of months riding the bus and stealing my brother's moped) by a Mk2 Hornet which I shared with my Dad (I used the car all the time but had to bring him and Mum home from the 'tute at weekend closing times!).

Anyway, my current Elf has been with us for over 40 years and, whilst being continually updated with "period modifications" to enable it to perform reasonably well in motorsport (mainly Autotesting - 'earoling around pylons backwards and forwards with flicks in between), it was fully restored towards the end of the '80's including the fitment of a 1071"S" engine, brakes, super minifins, Cobra seats, remote gearlever, etc. Elfie has a customised (home-made) centre console, flared arches for the Astrali Ally wheels, a Mini Mk2 steering rack and now with Mini Mk4 Column switches ('cos I couldn't find the darned console switches on dark, dank, rainy nights!). Elfie is referred to as a bl**dy Hooligan Machine around some parts of Lancashire!

As well as Elfie, I have owned an '82 Mk1 Golf GTI from new and which I SORNed about 3 yrs ago so I could restore it to its former (standard) glory - it is still waiting......

Anyway Jan and folks, there are a couple or three local shows for you to note in your diaries, mostly organised by Andrew Greenwood and Mark Woodward including:

Hoghton Towers, Preston on 28th June, Leighton Hall, Carnforth on July 12th, Lytham Hall, Lytham on August 9th, Knowsley Hall, Prescot on August 16th, Fairhaven Lake, Lytham-St.Annes on September 13th

http://www.markwoodwardclassicevents.com/
http://www.classicshows.org/main.htm
http://www.bvpg.co.uk/newsandevents.html

Here is piccy of Elfie aged about 20 with her potties:

Another Hi from Lancashire Elfie

Isn't this a super forum with super members ???????????

Cheers

Alan (aka "Superworm")
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Another Hi from Lancashire Empty Re: Another Hi from Lancashire

Post  O'Riley Fri May 15, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Alan, i kinda like the look of the driving lights up there. Are they mounted on the bonnet or front panel?
Cheers!

O'Riley

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri May 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi O'Riley

The lamps are Bosch 5 inchers and are mounted on the front panel upper surface as you suspected. The lamp brackets are "Z" shaped and are bolted to the top rail using two countersunk allen screws on each bracket. The allen screws thus give a low profile to the bracket and attachment so that the gap created by use of the grommets on the bonnet to front panel interface provide the necessary clearance. The brackets are from 3/16 thick steel about 1.25" wide. Because they are so "short" in a fore/aft and vertical sense, there are minimal problems from vibration causing the lights to flutter....the vertical leg is only long enough to ensure the bonnet doesn't "smack" the lamp bowls on its way down.

The lamps are wired through a switch to the High Beam circuit via a relay so that if they are switched on, they extinguish whenever the headlights are dipped or switched off (methinks a legal requirement to protect on-coming traffic - is illegal in rallying circles anyway). Iirc, per Road Traffic Act, the lamps are to be at least 30mm (mixed units ????!¬!!!) apart from their inside edges and at least 24" from their centres off the road surface unless used in fog or falling snow!!....(not many people who drive those bl**dy great intimidating SUV's know that!!!!)

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum