Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe

Go down

1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe Empty 1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe

Post  Bryanthemercman Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:36 pm

Good Day Guys,

Yesterday I visited my Colleague to road test my elf as I explained earlier the previous owner reported the car had low oil pressure. Well that has now been confirmed and I am going to need a replacement engine and gearbox as there is also a whine when driving which I suspect is the gearbox bearings? Does anyone reccomend a good source for a replacement or someone who is prepared to rebuild my unit it will also need hardened valve seats as it has never been converted for unleaded fuel. I have seen a lot of complete units on EBay but as they are in the car how do I know if they are any better than mine?
The car will probably go to another friend for the bodywork after the engine has been removed next week. I will be doing the interior and electrics myself.
Bryanthemercman
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe Empty 1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe

Post  Bryanthemercman Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to bring you an update on my "Elfie" the engine rebuild is almost complete and I am assured that the gearbox in in good condition after being cleaned and checked out.

The shell has been transported to the Midlands and is now being assessed for a complete respray and rust treatment. In the interim I will be building the wiring loom and I have completed the overhaul of the alternator which came from a MG to replace the dynamo. I pictorial history will be carried out once things get moving. I have asked for pictures of the engine, transmission etc. I will be keeping the original magic wand but the foot dip switch and ignition switch will move to column mounted switches along with the wiper switch and a steering lock.

I have not got any quotes as yet for the walnut dash as I would like to try and get a darker shade.
Bryanthemercman
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down