Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Elf owner

3 posters

Go down

New Elf owner Empty New Elf owner

Post  Aussie Neil Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:11 pm

I have just acquired an Elf, VIN RA2S3 113884 which I believe is a Mark III model. The car was imported into Australia in October 2006 as a painted rolling shell and was locally fitted with a 998 motor soon after. Since then it has been in storage.

I took delivery of the car last weekend and have spent a couple of days cleaning it up. It is in extraordinarily sound condition, with the original floos and boot still completely intact. The paint is as good as the day it left the paint shop - quite amazing really since it's endured a trip to Melbourne Australia and factory storage since then, including a year under a tarpaulin outside.

I need to finish it off - it has no interior and I plan to cannibailise a Mini for interior fittings, once I know which model will provide me with the nearest equivalents (mainly the seats). It seems to be reasonably complete - the chrome trinsms for the outside are quite good, although the bonnet spear is badly pitted and corroded. Is there somewhere in UK or USA where I might obtain a replica, or does anybody have a good one I could purchase?

The Elf is a quite rare car in Australia as I am told they were never offered for sale in this country - the only cars here are private imports from UK or New Zealand.

The Elf adds to my small colection of restored British classics - a 1949 MGY, 1969 MGB and a BSA Bantam! When I work out how to do so, I'd like to post a couple of pics.

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

New Elf owner Empty Re: New Elf owner

Post  Big_Al_Smith Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

New Elf owner Empty Re: New Elf owner

Post  Aussie Neil Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks for the pointer.

Aussie Neil