Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distributor cover

4 posters

Go down

Distributor cover Empty Distributor cover

Post  Slim Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Should the MK3 Elf have the large black plastic cover on to protect the distributor and coil electrics. I mean the cover that is secured by 3 quick release clips. If so does anyone know the part number or a supplier? Mine has the metal brackets (2 on the head and one on the oil filter head) but no cover.

Slim

Back to top Go down

Distributor cover Empty Re: Distributor cover

Post  asahartz Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm

I couldn't tell you if it's supposed to have one, but I can tell you where you can get one:

Somerfords

Minispares

Min-its (much cheaper).

I notice there is a different splashguard for autos which is much more expensive Shocked

Personally I can't stand the things, they cut access to the engine and none of my cars have one fitted; I prefer to put my faith in a section of old inner tube over the dizzy cap secured with a tie-wrap around the leads. It's never failed me yet, and I drive a Mini 50 miles a day. And it's a lot cheaper!
Interestingly I notice that originally there was a waterproof cover for the distributor cap which did much the same job as my bit of inner tube, but it's NLA. Many will suggest the alternative of a marigold glove with the fingers cut off, but it does look out of place.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:02 pm

They wouldn't have been standard on an Elf, or anything around that period - as a guess, I'd say that they'd have been fitted around the late 80's, early 90's.

It should be pretty easy to retro-fit - you only really need the top two fixings on the rocker box cover - and it will protect the electrics.

Jono_h

Back to top Go down

Distributor cover Empty Distributor cover

Post  Slim Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to create an original car so will remove the brackets and just fit the rubber covers for dizzy and coil.

Slim

Back to top Go down

Distributor cover Empty weather shield

Post  psychobob Sat May 12, 2012 11:02 am

i fitted one to my hornet the other week,as it has started misfiring in heavy rain. i've had to remove it again as it touched the inside of the grill and made the whole car vibrate like a road drill! my hornet has a steel flip front made from the original panels but the grill is in the same position as standard. i dont know if there was a bigger gap between the engine and the grill on a standard mini (which they where designed for). i'm now thinking of covering the inside of the grill with something to keep the rain out. airflow isn't much of an issue with no inner wings! also an ally radiator and tropical fan keep it, if anything, too cold.
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sat May 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I tried fitting a plate to the centre aperture, it didn't work. But the inner tube over the dizzy did!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum