Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carpet Colours / Suppliers

3 posters

Go down

Carpet Colours / Suppliers Empty Carpet Colours / Suppliers

Post  chickengeorge47 Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm

I would be grateful for any imput on the carpet colour for the Mk 2 Cumberland Green / OEW Elf I am restoring. I have used Newton Commercial on a couple of Mk 1 Mini Coopers and on a Mini Cooper Innocenti Export, but the only green they appear to have for the Elf is much darker than what is left in the car.

Do any members have any options they have had success with ?

chickengeorge47

Back to top Go down

Carpet Colours / Suppliers Empty Re: Carpet Colours / Suppliers

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:13 am

ok, firstly if the little car has grey/ porcelain green seats it would've had porcelain green carpets but if it has plain porcelain green seats it may have had porcelain green OR almond green carpets, dependant on whether it had plain or two-tone door, inner side cards. hope that's not too complicated!

i'd try newton commercials first as although their stuff is pricey, in my experience it's always been very good
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Carpet Colours / Suppliers Empty Carpet Colours / Suppliers

Post  chickengeorge47 Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Many thanks for that. The seats are Porcelain Green and in quite good condition. They will restore to look almost like new. All the door cards are plain green but a bit 'warped'. They may iron out. The only carpet remaining (as the front floor pans are gone) is in the back and on the boot board. The carpet sample Newton have sent me is Almond Green, which appears too dark compared with the boot board, but from what you say is the correct colour, but not of the same quality as the original.

When I have car carpets made (locally by a retired Classic Car Trimmer here in Bournemouth) he uses a supplier called Martrim from Cheshire and the product is called Super Wool. This is fine on something like an Austin 7 or a Morris 8, but for Mini's / Morris Minors I use Newton.

Thanks again for your help.

chickengeorge47

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:08 pm

I concur with Big Al.

He's got that totally spot on!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down