Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A moment of suspense-ion...

3 posters

Go down

A moment of suspense-ion... Empty A moment of suspense-ion...

Post  FrogElf Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Guys,
We are currently disassembling the suspension on my '69 Elf and we have encountered something rather confusing. The car's suspension is hydrolastic and, as far as I am aware, should still have shock absorbers. However, when we removed the wheels and brake drums we found no shock absorbers anywhere on the car. None on the front of the car and (this is what is confusing us most) where we think they should be on the back, there are long springs with loops on the ends, which were only attached to the car at one end! We have literally no idea about what these are and if indeed the car needs shock absorbers (but I'd imagine it does...?) so any knowledge and advice would be great.
Thanks,
Pete
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

A moment of suspense-ion... Empty Re: A moment of suspense-ion...

Post  Red Riley Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 pm

That's the original setup, although I understand shocks can be retrofitted to the front and was done as a performance mod. The springs on the back are to keep some tension on the swingarm at full travel, rather than to limit upward travel.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

A moment of suspense-ion... Empty Thanks again!

Post  FrogElf Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:17 pm

It seems your knowledge knows no bounds!
This has really helped and saved us a £50 that can now go towards that rear valance... Very Happy
Thanks
Pete
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:35 am

no shocks were fitted as standard on hydro cars, but i understand that the fitting of front shocks assists with the handling.

i shall find out whether this is true later this year hopefully as my own jvg has never had front shocks, but rusty has 'em and assuming i get him running this year, i shall see what the difference is!

good luck with all the work ahead
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down