Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc.

+4
bmcelf
Red Riley
TONYELF
Coco_ChanElf
8 posters

Go down

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc. Empty Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc.

Post  Coco_ChanElf Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Does anyone have a close up of an undamaged Riley Elf badge front and rear I could have a look at? My rear badge appears to be (damaged) enamel. The front one has been painted in very inexpertly.
Would the front one have originally been enamelled, too?
Can you get badges re-enamelled, or is painting the only option once the enamel is damaged?

As always, thank you so much for any help you are able to give. Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc. Empty Re: Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc.

Post  TONYELF Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:26 am

If you really want the top job of refurbishment it has to be stripped completely of all enamel and chrome. Rechromed and re enamelled.
This can be done by someone in Cornwall or by another in Australia, The only two people I could find in my search. Present cost is around £190 - £240! affraid They insist you send it extremely well wrapped and by recorded delivery and they will return it by by same (All extra costs!)
You could approach a Craft shop who make enamelled brooches if they have a special oven to "cook" it in. One shop refused to do mine as they said it may damage the chrome???

I do have a few of both front and rear badges but only two are worthy of selling on. I will take a photo of them in daylight tomorrow and email the pics to you.

Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc. Empty Re: Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc.

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:47 am

Thanks very much - I would be interested to see the ones you might consider selling. The enamel work does sound extraordinarily expensive!
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:08 am

Use the search box above and search for badge. There are a few pictures of badges on the forum. You'll find that there were two different types of badges, and I've seen them mixed and matched on the same car. The enameled type is heavy chromed (I think it's brass) and the painted (or unpainted) type appears to be a lighter alloy. The only difference front to rear is that the rear one is flatter than the front. The front has more of a dished shape to fit onto the grille "nose". Although the enameled ones are much prettier when in pristine condition, the ally ones are much easier (and cheaper) to restore. You can just carefully strip off any old paint and polish it with a metal polish, then repaint with a matching blue enamel, leaving the script and the edges unpainted.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Here is an image of enamel and paint badges.

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc. Grillbadges-1
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Aluminum NOT Painted

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc. 20110510
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks Red Riley. I had missed the forum search box, somehow. Useful!

Riley US Man and BMC elf - thanks for posting those. My front badge is painted, the rear is enamel. Neither of them are as beautiful as the ones you posted!

Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  CMC Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

CMC
CMC

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Here is a link to a badge restorer - maybe the one that Tony refers to above.....(Devon not Cornwall but close!!!!!!)

No idea what they charge but they do the rechroming as well

http://www.badgecraft.co.uk/termsandcontact.htm

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc. Empty Thanks

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your help Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Riley badges front and rear - enamel etc. Empty CMC

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks CMC for the link. Sadly, I can't place a bid, they won't accept bidders from Ireland. I called and left a message on the phone number given, but no reply, and no change to the listing.

I'll keep an eye on it see what happens. Thanks for drawing it to my attention, anyway.
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Classics Monthly have a special edition onsale at the moment that compiles the best of their "how to" workshop section of the magazine. In there is a section on replacing the enamel section of you badge with nail varnish of all things. They don't claim this to be anything more than a tidy up, and in no way suggest that it is as good as enamel, but it looks interesting for a budget fix.

humph

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:18 pm

superworm wrote:Here is a link to a badge restorer - maybe the one that Tony refers to above.....(Devon not Cornwall but close!!!!!!)

No idea what they charge but they do the rechroming as well

http://www.badgecraft.co.uk/termsandcontact.htm

Cheers
soory about location error!
Try this one in Australia !
http://heywoodenamels.com/
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down