Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

front wheel bearing

2 posters

Go down

front wheel bearing Empty front wheel bearing

Post  psychobob Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:35 pm

i'm now on my fourth front n/s wheel bearing in a year! i followed the manual to fit them, drifting them in gently and packed the bearings with a packing tool and pushed the oil seal in as far as it will go. each time i check the castlated nut has come loose and if you take the tapered washer out there is a lot of escaped grease behind it. last time i replaced the nut, hub and tapered washer( which is now deeply worn again) and torqued it all up to 150 ft/lbs. i'm sure the seals are in properly, and the right way round, as it shows them in the manual. after a 400 mile trip it's gone wobbly again. it runs discs, if that makes any difference. also the o/s front one has always been fine. anybody got any idea's as i'm baffled. i'm almost at the point of paying minisport to fit a new one! with actual money and everything! help.
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

front wheel bearing Empty Re: front wheel bearing

Post  discoman41 Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Just changed my second n/s front bearing in a year on Saturday. Changed all bearings just before going to Paris last October. Bromley and L2B later, plus small insignificant journeys later and the front n/s needed doing again. Nothing to do with the castleated nut, I just think the newer bearings aren't as good. Curiously though, mine seem to go shortly after changing to my heavier, wider summer slot mag wheels.

That may have something to do with it

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:05 pm

i'm running 5"x12" revolutions, so that probably doesn't help to be honest. still, three months per set seems a bit poor. the last set probably lasted 1500 miles!
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down