Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi, from Japan

+2
TONYELF
bmc1275
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Hi, from Japan

Post  bmc1275 Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi, this is Soichi from Japan.
I have just received my car on 29th Jan. My car is a 1967 Riley Elf, early MK3 type (concealed door hinge but with MK2 type interior).
It has been restored to former glory and I am very happy to have it in my hand.
I bought this car in April 2006.

It is also featured in Mini Magazine January issue!!

I don't know how to post photographs and I have loads of them.
bmc1275
bmc1275

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Re: Hi, from Japan

Post  TONYELF Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Welcome to the forum Soichi.
I was impressed with the motor when I read about it in the mag. sounds very nice indeed Very Happy

To post photos on the forum use the following instructions off my local mini website. (They apply to most websites)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This question comes up again and again, "how do we upload and show pictures on the Forum?"

First of all you need a 'Picture Host', which is simply somewhere to upload and store your Pics.
Quite a few members use 'Photobucket.com' ....but there are a lot of options out there.

When you have your pictures uploaded to your 'Host'. Open the pic you want to use and 'right-click' on it.
Go into properties, then a window will open with the details of the pic.

Looks like this:-
https://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...th08run001.jpg

You need to highlight and copy to the 'image code'

Right click in the area of your post where you want the image and choose 'Paste'.

[img}https://2img.net/h/i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/Miniaddicts/aug%2010th%2008%20run/aug10th08run001.jpg[/IMG]

Click the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the page and there it is! (use the 'preview' button to make sure you did it correctly first

You should end up with your picture displayed, something like this :

Maximum of 10 pics per post but you can do as many posts as you like.

It's as easy as that!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i did wat you said and it always says invalid file

TONYELF
Miniaddicts Super User Join Date: Apr 2006

Just tried it , it does work. on photobucket bottom line under the pic you want it says[IMG] Highlight the right hand section (turns blue) Right click and select copy. when back in your message box on MA forum get cursor at left hand side and right click and select copy.
You should get a long line of gobbledeegook as I call it!
scroll down to preview and select. Your message and photo should come up.
If you are happy with that go down and Submit.
Make sure the line of gobbledeegook is free from your message and that it has not split it up at all otherwise message does not make sense!
Try it first without message. If it works go back down to your message (below the preview) put cursor in front of Gobbledeegook line press return so that it moves the line down. Replace cursor on top and type message then again select preview and if you're happy press submit.
Took me a few times to crack this but at 63 years of age you can expect that

TONYELF
View Public Profile
Send a private message to TONYELF
Find all posts by TONYELF

#4 20
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Welcome!

Post  Red Riley Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forum, Soichi. I just finished reading the feature on your car in Mini Magazine! Very nice! Somerford does top notch work. I wish I was closer to them, but as I'm in the US, it's a bit difficult to pop over. I'm just finishing have my 68 Elf redone, but using a slightly different approach than your car. Here is the link to my progress photos. I've had a major upgrade to make the car safe to drive on the US highways, including a Honda engine.
As for posting photos, the best way is to get a free account at one of the photo hosting sites like www.servimg.com or www.flickr.com. (There are others as well) Then use the "Insert Image" button when you post. You can get to the servimg site just by hitting the "Host an image" button.
Good luck! Can't wait to see more pictures of you beautiful Elf.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Photo hosting

Post  Red Riley Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Tony and Soichi,
I stopped using photobucket since their site got hacked. But on Servimg.com, which this forum has built-in, there is a button under the image called "links" which gives you a "Direct Link" url. This is what you should use. Cutting and pasting the "properties" like you are doing sometimes gives you a very long url that can be easily garbled when pasting, like ending up on 2 lines and confusing the forum posting program. I think I remember Photobucket having the same option, I know that Flickr does.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks for that .Will have to look into it.Must admit the url does take up two lines and if you put another url next to it it sometimes ends up with photo side by side!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty hi

Post  the elf Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:52 am

hi soichi and welcome....nice elf

the elf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 pm

hi Soichi, glad the car arrived ok and you are happy with it. All best wishes from Alastair and Mum
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Photos!

Post  bmc1275 Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:30 am

Hi, everyone, sorry to take so long time to post pictures, after searching for best site, I decided to go for Picasa by google.
They give me free space upto 1GB so should be big enough. Also, I need to share these photos with Japanese friends as well so the site
should be Japaese compatible.
Please have a look, files with 'Soichi' are all Riley Elf related and youshould follow Soichi to Soichi14. These photos were taken when the car was in UK.
If you look at Yokohama folder, you can see car in Japan. It was Yokohama port where ship arrived. I drove the car through Tokyo and
you can see Riley Elf running through high buildings. Old meets modern!

I have also posted some interesting photos so please fell free to look.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bmc1275

Thank you very much, if you have any comments or question, I am more than happy to hear.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know where I can get good condition Riley blue diamond badge front and rear? Thanks.
bmc1275
bmc1275

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:10 pm

That sure is one mighty restoration and a beautiful car as the result!

Thanks for sharing your photos, I enjoyed my trip through Tokyo!

The Riley Diamond Badges for the front are like rocking horse "poo" I have been trying to find one for three years now. I see you are in the bidding for complete Badge and Grill on E bay at the moment. Good luck with that. There is someone from the USA after it at the moment so I guess the price will go sky high!

I have some badges somewhere but they are not in very good condition. My search for a enamelling company has been fruitless so far. A craft centre in North Wales ahs sais they were not happy about putting the badge in the oven in case they damaged the chrome! Therefore I am experimenting with cold enamel paint and buffing it down after.

The boot badges keep popping up on Ebay and they seem to be in reasonable condition.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:26 am

TONYELF wrote:That sure is one mighty restoration and a beautiful car as the result!

Thanks for sharing your photos, I enjoyed my trip through Tokyo!

The Riley Diamond Badges for the front are like rocking horse "poo" I have been trying to find one for three years now. I see you are in the bidding for complete Badge and Grill on E bay at the moment. Good luck with that. There is someone from the USA after it at the moment so I guess the price will go sky high!

I have some badges somewhere but they are not in very good condition. My search for a enamelling company has been fruitless so far. A craft centre in North Wales ahs sais they were not happy about putting the badge in the oven in case they damaged the chrome! Therefore I am experimenting with cold enamel paint and buffing it down after.

The boot badges keep popping up on Ebay and they seem to be in reasonable condition.

I watched this auction today, The winner was "nail_in_my_shoe" who won it for £125.45 + £12 postage affraid I think their name is now "hole in my pocket" and NO IT WAS NOT ME! although I wanted the badge, I did not bid and I certainly would not have gone that high just for that! I wonder who it was? Anyone on here?

my shoe
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Oh dear!

Post  bmc1275 Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:55 am

Yes, I just saw it,,,
What a price! I have a spare grill so I just want badges. My best offer was 20 pounds,,,Hahaha!
Do you know who can restore the badge with emanel paint?
I just cannot find anybody who can do it in Japan.
bmc1275
bmc1275

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:19 am

If you have the enamel (cloisonne) and chrome type badges, (I think they're the older type) I would recommend this guy in Australia http://enamel-auto-badge-repair.com/. I had him quote for a set a while back and I thought it was expensive at the time, but I've spent at least the same amount trying to buy a decent set.
For the aluminum ones which I think are the newer type, you should be able to have them media blasted and painted with regular auto paint, or do it yourself. I did one with Acrylic Transparent Blue model enamel and it came out okay.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 am

Red Riley wrote:If you have the enamel (cloisonne) and chrome type badges, (I think they're the older type) I would recommend this guy in Australia http://enamel-auto-badge-repair.com/. I had him quote for a set a while back and I thought it was expensive at the time, but I've spent at least the same amount trying to buy a decent set.
For the aluminum ones which I think are the newer type, you should be able to have them media blasted and painted with regular auto paint, or do it yourself. I did one with Acrylic Transparent Blue model enamel and it came out okay.

That link looks good and end product fantastic. Can you remember the price you paid? and what did you have done? Any pics?
Questions, questions. questions! lol
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:53 am

Soichi,
I didn't end up getting the badges done since I decided I could find some cheaper. Wrong. I wish I had done. I think the price was around 200 dollars, but don't take my word for it. He was very helpful about giving me a quote, so I would contact him if I were you.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Thank you!

Post  bmc1275 Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:30 pm

Thank you very much for your help.

The shop can do fantastic job. I am watching Auction in Japan about Riley Elf badge emanel version.
It needs a restoration and this could be the good starting point,,,,

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w33097792

Starting price is 3000yen which is about 21pounds! ouch.
bmc1275
bmc1275

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm afraid thats no good to me .....or any of us......It is all in Japanese! Mad £21 is cheap ... believe me!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:21 am

TONYELF wrote:I'm afraid thats no good to me .....or any of us......It is all in Japanese! Mad £21 is cheap ... believe me!
So what are you saying, Tony? You don't read Japanese? I thought everyone did. cyclops
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:50 pm

No and I'm sure you don't! Smile
Anyway whilst on this thread we have wandered from Introductions of new members to Badge Enamelling and having been invited to be a Admin Member I thought it might be a good opportunity to ask those who are now familiar with the new Forum, to try and post things in the right sections. I am guilty in this case so no one in particular has been singled out here.
I am putting my photos of my badge in the Advice Section to continue this part of the thread.
Is everyone happy with that?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:32 am

Greetings Sir,

I have seen the pics of Soichi (what does it mean anyway?) on the net. And all I can say: a damn good job! Nice car with modifications in my taste (I am not a VTEC-kind of guy - though i like to see others doing this conversion).
Congrats!

Gergo

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  bmc1275 Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:15 pm

HI, I didn't notice that thread is still going!!

Tonyelf, yes I am happy with what you are suggesting!

Gergo, thank you very much. The car is still in garage waiting for shaken (Japanese equivalent to MOT in UK).
I hope I can enjoy the car from June.

I am still thinking about having air con in the Elf. I have all the parts but the unit is heavy and consumes power,,,
Mnnnnn,,,,,
bmc1275
bmc1275

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:36 pm

If you are using the car everyday and the ambient temperatures are high,it is worth considering air con. But if the air is clean and pure why not just open the windows? Part of the fun! (Thats what they're for isn't it?) Laughing
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmc1275 Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Oh, wll, if humidity is low like in UK, opening the window is just fine. But we have very hot temperature (38 degree C) and very high humidity (around 80~90%!! Honest!),
opening the window isn't the solution. Also we have huge congestion.

But I might use Elf only for Spring anf autum, summer night!.
bmc1275
bmc1275

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:40 pm

bmc1275 wrote:Oh, wll, if humidity is low like in UK, opening the window is just fine. But we have very hot temperature (38 degree C) and very high humidity (around 80~90%!! Honest!),
opening the window isn't the solution. Also we have huge congestion.

But I might use Elf only for Spring anf autum, summer night!.

OK Air con it is then Smile
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Japan Empty Air con

Post  bmc1275 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:29 pm

I have decided not to fit air-con.

Having heard the experience from the owner of Riley Elf with air con, it is not so good idea.
1) Unit is very heavy, front end will sag
2) Consumes a lot of power
3) Engine room will be very tight so maintenance is difficult

So I will sell the unit!!
bmc1275
bmc1275

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:58 pm

On a personal note I do not use the aircon on my daily motor, It seems to dry my eyes out and sometimes my shoulders ache after a long journey. Any one else have problems with aircon?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next