Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am *%##@ MAD

+6
discoman41
flat broke
Big_Al_Smith
Red Riley
TONYELF
RileyUSMan
10 posters

Go down

I am *%##@ MAD Empty I am *%##@ MAD

Post  RileyUSMan Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 pm

I just spoke with a Vintage MINI owner. He said Riley Elfs are nice but he said that in the Mini community people consider a Riley a 3rd choice car. What he meant was 1) a Mini to show 2) a Mini to customize and 3) possibly a Riley Elf.

I can not even begin to understand his logic. Vintage Minis are cool but they where imported into the USA, therefore they are not rare in commparison to Rileys. Also I think the Riley with it's upscale interior, front grill and rear boot is a much better looking car.

It just made me made.....
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

I am *%##@ MAD Empty Re: I am *%##@ MAD

Post  TONYELF Fri May 27, 2011 1:00 am

Nah! Elfs and Hornets were aimed at the "Upper Class" or "Snobs" if you like (Princess Margaret had one) He is only jealous as his is one of many whereas yours is one of few and it looks Classy with all its chrome bits Almost like a mini Rolls Royce eh? Don't get mad , get even and start looking down on them LOL Smile Smile
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri May 27, 2011 1:37 am

He's just jealous! Besides you're lucky to find a Classic Mini owner in the states who even knows for certain what year his car was made. Most of them don't know anything about Elfs or Hornets, so don't get too upset by such ignorant criticism from the peanut gallery.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Fri May 27, 2011 2:09 am

it was attitudes like that fella's that made me start this club in the first place.

he's welcome to his opinion, as we all are, but that doesn't entitle him to denigrate the favourites of others. sadly, small-minded people abound in this world of ours but at least we all know our little cars are cool! Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

I am *%##@ MAD Empty Just drive it

Post  flat broke Fri May 27, 2011 4:19 pm

It has always amazed me that the Hornet/Elf haven't been more popular (and as valuable) than say, a Mini Cooper. When people see a Riley or A Wolseley on the road, the recognize that they are looking at something unique. So it is our job to educate the uninformed.

IMHO customizing a Mini will never make it as interesting as our cars are in the first place.

flat broke

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Sat May 28, 2011 12:16 am

You might want to remind him that my little Elf went all the way to Paris last year for the MiniWorld Disney Mini Show, was the only Elf there, one Moke, a couple of Travellers and all the rest (about 35) classic or BMW Mini's - my Elf won car of the event - not bad for a 3rd rate Mini bounce

How does it go Al, after three (in Cockney accent...) "How the f......... 'ell, does a f........ Riley Elf, win best f......... mini, at a f.......... mini show, when it ain't even a f........ mini?" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sat May 28, 2011 2:32 pm

flat broke wrote:It has always amazed me that the Hornet/Elf haven't been more popular (and as valuable) than say, a Mini Cooper. When people see a Riley or A Wolseley on the road, the recognize that they are looking at something unique. So it is our job to educate the uninformed.

IMHO customizing a Mini will never make it as interesting as our cars are in the first place.

hear, hear....
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Sun May 29, 2011 8:55 pm

RileyUSMan

Shhhhhhh, don't let out the secret! We get enjoy a fantastic car and don't have to pay too much to buy them.

Here in the US and probably in the UK as well , a modified Mini with a 998 or even a 1275 can fetch $10,000 and up with a real Cooper S getting $20k or more. I have found some fantastic Elfs for $10k some nice MkII examples for $6K. Sorry for the Hornet guys, not too many in the States to give a comparison.

Also, there seem to be 10,000 or more Cooper S models more than what BMC ever produced. There is no faking a Hornet or an Elf.

The Mini is the mass produced opiate of the masses, or boxed wine if you will. Our Elfs/Hornets are the fine mixed artisan wine of a small vineyard tucked away in the hills where only a few really know how splendid it is.

So drink up , or erm.... Drive in blissful happiness knowing you are enjoying a fine thing while the "others" drown in mediocrity!

Now that wasn't snobbish Laughing
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

http://www.moala.org

Back to top Go down

Post  reymondos Sun May 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Opinions are like @#&*holes. Everybody's got one.

There are plenty of ignorant, narrow minded people about.

All you have to do is try to avoid them and enjoy your cars. Keep Elfing....
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon May 30, 2011 12:25 am

reymondos wrote:Opinions are like @#&*holes. Everybody's got one.

There are plenty of ignorant, narrow minded people about.

All you have to do is try to avoid them and enjoy your cars. Keep Elfing....

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 pm

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!

After reading all your replies I went from feeling mad to feeling pitty for those poor run of the mill Mini owners Twisted Evil
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon May 30, 2011 6:52 pm

king lol! Thats right. Look down on them (Like the kings and Queens do!)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 am

And then you get the completely ignorant folks who wink and nod while informing you that the car is one of the original Mini Coopers.
Even worse are the ones who are driving a new BMW MINI and tell you that you are lying when you try to explain the relationship of the Elf-Hornet-Mini because they bought the "first" MINI when it came out and there have only been MINIs since 2001. (Most likely only applies to the USA crowd)
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Tue May 31, 2011 11:08 am

Personally I've learned to ignore the blinkered and ignorant minority within the Mini community. It's funny as it's always the same people that hold the following views on my chosen vehicles:

1969 Riley Elf - "It's not a proper Mini" Sleep

1995 Mini Sidewalk SPI - "It's not a proper Mini. Proper Minis had carbs. You want to get it converted to carbs" Sleep Sleep

2008 BMW MINI Clubman S & 2010 JCW MINI (The wife's) - "It's not a proper Mini". Plus just general nonesense about it being big, rubbish about BMW, underserved & unprovoked abuse etc. Sleep Sleep Sleep

Bit of a trend here I think. The same people woop & holler at MITP as VTEC/Vauxhal/Chevy powered Minis go up against new MINIS on the strip, because obviously a Yank V8 powered car is a proper Mini. confused I particularly love getting BMW abuse from guys driving SPI & MPI Minis, ignorant enough not to recognise that their cars were built under BMW ownership.

Wait til I pick up my new Cooper S diesel in June, they'll have a seizure Razz

humph

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Tue May 31, 2011 11:02 pm

There is some merit in ignoring the ignorant and not letting one's blood pressure soar!
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Tue May 31, 2011 11:11 pm

Talk about a rare car,

I found a very nice and knowlegable mechanic in NJ (USA) I am comfortable working with. He has over 40 years of British car experience. He immediatley knew of the Riley brand and the Elf and Kestrel models. BUT He has NEVER I repeat NEVER had an Elf or Kestrel in his shop. He is actually excited to work on my cars!!

Thats COOL!! Cool
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum