Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello - My new Riley's

5 posters

Go down

Hello - My new Riley's Empty Hello - My new Riley's

Post  RileyUSMan Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Hello, I am from the USA. Recently I found out about and fell in love with Rileys. I purchased two NZ imported cars, a 1969 Kestrel and 1968 ELF. Anyone out there that would contact me and help educate me on this wonderful brand and my new two babys, thanks!!
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Hello - My new Riley's Empty Re: Hello - My new Riley's

Post  The Adder Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:04 am

Hi there Smile Good to hear from you.

Have you got the cars yet then? If so, lets be having a look Wink

Both your cars are from a time when Riley was part of The British Motor Company, which was formed from a merger between Austin and The Nuffield Corporation. At that time Riley was used as a "badge engineering" exercise to provide upmarket models of a lot of cars that were sold in big numbers under the Austin and Morris brands. Both your cars are designed by Alec Issigonis and actually share a lot in common (think of the Kestrel as the Elf's big brother). The base model of the Elf, as I'm sure you are aware, was the Mini and the Kestrel sold in huge numbers as the Austin/Morris 1100/1300 in Europe, Austin America in the States.

The Departmental Code Number for the Mini was ADO15 (Austin Drawing Offices) and, as the next car in line, the 1100 was ADO16. ADO17 was a large family car primarily sold as the Austin/Morris 1800/2200, there was never a Riley version of ADO17 but there was a Wolseley. ADO16 was also available as both an MG and a Vanden Plas badged car, so if we take into account the two different engines, two door, four door and estate versions and the six different Marques it was marketed under, that makes for a bewildering array study

For a really good insight into all things related to the British motor industry, check out http://www.aronline.co.uk/

All the very best, and welcome to the forum Very Happy Very Happy
The Adder
The Adder

Back to top Go down

Hello - My new Riley's Empty Here they are

Post  RileyUSMan Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:32 am

Thank you so much for the info, what do you think of the cars?

Hello - My new Riley's Fs_ima11

Hello - My new Riley's 68elfr11

Last edited by RileyUSMan on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  The Adder Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:39 am

Asking a bit of a loaded question there Wink

We're all BMC fans on here Very Happy Particularly interested in Elf/Hornets, obviously. But ADO16 is also a very interesting and fun little car, particularly in any of the upmarket brands.

As well as us, there's a Riley owners club in Britain (Google it, I'm not a member yet) Wink

Both your cars are practical and reliable enough to use as everyday classics and parts supply is still pretty good. Hope you have a lot of fun with them and keep us up to date on the cars. If you're after any specific help or advice, then there's a wealth of knowledge on here and anyone would be happy to field questions from you.

Once again, all the best Very Happy
The Adder
The Adder

Back to top Go down

Hello - My new Riley's Empty Any Info Helps..

Post  RileyUSMan Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:54 am

Any info that you guys and gals can share with me about my cars would be greatly appreciated
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:14 am

Welcome to our little (but growing forum) Enjoy. you can click on Main site above right and see time scale ect on the Elfs and Hornets. BTW yours looks beautiful.
Tony
ps We have a few American members who no doubt will be in touch soon. Where are you based?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:28 am

RileyUSman, Welcome to the forum and I hope you will also join the Elf/Hornet Register. This is a great group and really help us out here in the US with sourcing parts, and advise. I would never have gotten my car had it not been for this forum.

Where are you located in the US? There will be a gathering of all Elf/Hornets we can get this summer at Mini Meet East in Chattanooga, TN in July. It is the 50th anniversary of the Elf/Hornet and we in the US want to get the best turnout we can. I am sure Red Riley will chime with his welcome soon.

I am also a member of the Riley Motor Club http://www.rileymotorclub.org/index.htm . Lots of information and help on all the Rileys. Check it out but you can't do better than this group for your Elf.

I will have my Elf at the Dobson, NC Show April 16. http://www.triumphclub.org/Gathering/GatheringBrochure11.pdf

Welcome again...

Jim

bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the warm Hellos!!

I am in New Jersey.

How many approx. Elfs are in the USA?
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:22 am

RileyUSMan wrote:Thanks for the warm Hellos!!

I am in New Jersey.

How many approx. Elfs are in the USA?

I've got one and a half.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 pm

SO WHAT DOES ONE AND A HALF MEAN?? What a Face
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Just click on his "latest project" and see for yourself ! Smile
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 am

RileyUSMan wrote:SO WHAT DOES ONE AND A HALF MEAN?? What a Face
This is the half.
Hello - My new Riley's 3846237066_5fdc8f117b_z
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:01 am

RileyUSman, you asked how many Elfs in the US, well it's anybody's guess as far as I know. My guess would be about 30 Elf/Hornets in the US with a few in Canada. I may be far off and would welcome any better information or other estimates. I try to document information on all I encounter to help develop a sort of USA Booted Mini List. I think Brian does the same type of thing. I know of a few projects but I don't really count them.

We need to get all the US Elf/Hornets registered with the "Elf/Hornet Register" and then maybe we can keep better track of the population of our little cars.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:20 pm

BMCELF,

I agree! Tracking the cars is important.

I am a serious car LOVER and when I fall in love with a brand I become very loyal to that brand and also want to know as much about that brand as I can. This Riley brand seems to be some what of a mistery in the USA.

So far I have heard the following: Tell me if you guys and gals agree...

1) Riley was NEVER officially exported in USA for sale in US market
2) about 30 - 50 Elfs in USA
3) about 8 Kestrels in USA
4) NZ Rileys are more desirable than UK Rileys because of NZ cars having no rust issues
5) I may be the only person to have a Kestrel and an Elf in the USA (I find that amazing if true)

Last edited by RileyUSMan on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:28 am

Just went and looked over the pair of Rileys where they are currently waiting here in Charleston and I must say that they are very very nice. I hate to say it but I like the Kestrel even more than the Elf.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:33 am

Yes, I like them too but don't know about more than my Elf. The Kestrels, 1100's 1300's are portionally pleasing to the eye IMO.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:59 am

Once again, Red Riley thanks for checking out my cars today.

I personally like the Elf better. The Elf looks more "freaky small" in a good way. The Kestrel is also awesome but in a classy sophisticated way. I am very excited to take them to Car Shows together as a pair and see peoples reactions.
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:33 am

Let me restate that. I think I like THIS Kestrel better than THIS Elf. I really think that the Kestrel was the better catch of the two, which is not to say the Elf isn't also very nice. I just think that the Kestrel in question is Very Very nice. I expect the Kestrel to be winning Concours Awards as an immaculate un-restored car.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:24 am

There is a fellow here in North Carolina that takes a very nicely restored Mini and a Vanden Plas Princess also very well restored to cars shows in this area. Although I think the Princess is a nicer car the Mini gets most of the attention and awards. In the area shows the Mini has a class among other Minis while the Princess ends up in an "other British" class. My Elf has won awards in the Mini class but never in the Other British class it is sometimes assigned.

The trouble with having two old British cars is that it is hard to drive them both to the same event. I do like to drive my cars. My wife sometimes drives the Elf and I drive the MGA to events that are within 100 miles. I own my cars to drive not just park in show grounds--I keep them on the road.

Good luck with your cars. I am sure you will enjoy driving them.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:55 pm

I too also plan to drive my Rileys, I can't wait to take them to shows, I will tell the people running the shows that they are twins and they can't be separated or they get upset Wink
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum