Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little more Security for Sliding windows.

3 posters

Go down

A little more Security for Sliding windows. Empty A little more Security for Sliding windows.

Post  TONYELF Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:14 am

Members with sliding windows will know their cars windows can be forced to slide open against the catches and may be interested in my attempt to prevent this.
Using a narrow strip of metal that will sit in the bottom groove between the the back glass and the front catch catches, In my case I used a Chrome edging strip for ceramic tiles left over from my latest bathroom project (waste not want not!)
This strip is made from alloy not plastic and cost approx £10 for a 2 Metre strip. I don't think it looks too bad when installed and can be kept in the door pocket when not in use
A little more Security for Sliding windows. P3220136

It was cut to fit like this

A little more Security for Sliding windows. P3220135
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

A little more Security for Sliding windows. Empty Re: A little more Security for Sliding windows.

Post  The Adder Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:48 am

Fine idea Tony Smile

I used to do something similar when I was running mini vans, but mine was nowhere near as sophisticated or pretty, just a piece of round dowel with a nail in the end Wink
The Adder
The Adder

Back to top Go down

A little more Security for Sliding windows. Empty Re: A little more Security for Sliding windows.

Post  TONYELF Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:24 am

I did too back in the 60's but we didn't have as much a problem those days,
Used to be able to leave your bike at the staion for the day without a padlock. Still there when you came home!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 pm

My first elf which, I owned in the early 80's, was a mark II with sliding windows (obviously) I remember going to the pub one night and parking her in a dark car park. My mates thought it would be hysterical to slide the window so they could get in and roll her down to the bottom of the very dark carpark. When I came out I assumed she has been stolen. They did think it was slightly less funny after I had called my dad to come and pick me up and the police to report it stolen!!

In hindsight the sort of mates I can do without.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  The Adder Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 am

The only time I've been guilty of such tricks was at least in broad daylight and the owner was fully aware of what was going on Smile

A bunch of us a students had gone for a day out at the seaside in 3 cars. We parked in a deserted car park on the North Cliff at Scarborough, a car park which fortuitously has a slight raise at either end and a dip in the middle, can you see where this is going? Wink

As we all piled out of the respective cars and were standing around talking it suddenly occured to a couple of us that Mike hadn't put his handbrake on, so we took great delight in giving his car a little encouraging shove to help it on it's way down the raise, and up the other side a bit, and back, etc Wink

Good, clean, harmless fun in this case I feel and the police were never involved.
The Adder
The Adder

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Back in the 60.s and 70's my wife had a van and worked as as clerk shorthand typist at a gas board training centre. As you will quess the apprentices were a load of jokers! They decide to park either side of Jill's van to prevent her from even getting down the side to unlock it "GOT HER!" so they thought!
The next time they looked out of the window the van was gone. She simply unlocked the back doors and crawled in ! No tricks were played on her after that, I wonder why? Rolling Eyes
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum