Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine / Gearbox re-build

Go down

Engine / Gearbox re-build Empty Engine / Gearbox re-build

Post  Bryanthemercman Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:31 pm

I recently as some of you know purchased a "A" Plus 4 synchromesh gearbox and fitted it to "Ernie" my MK2 Riley Elf. It was found to have a weak 2nd gear synchro so it was decided tat the engine/gearbox would have to be removed yet again. I consulted an old friend from my apprentice days in the late 60's who had owned several Minis for advice. He suggested I take my car to "Mead Automotive" a company owned by an ex Longbridge engine builder (Adrian) I nursed my car the 140 miles, mainly motorway to his garage.
On separating the engine from the gearbox it was discovered that the crankshaft had severe damage due to incorrectly fitted thrust wafers and the whole assembly of the engine and component's was to a very poor standard which a replacement crankshaft would have to be sourced ad the block re-bored. The gearbox was re-built with all new synchro's and a replacement 2nd gear and final drive as the rest of the gears etc fine. The oil pump was replaced as were the flat top pistons and one connecting rod. A new clutch assembly was fitted and the engine painted in BL Green.
Ernie will return to the garage this coming week for a check over and a couple of other small tweaks and hopefully be on display at the "British Motor Show" in Farnborough this coming September

Engine / Gearbox re-build Whatsa14   Engine / Gearbox re-build Whatsa15   Engine / Gearbox re-build Whatsa17
Engine / Gearbox re-build Whatsa16   Engine / Gearbox re-build Whatsa18    Engine / Gearbox re-build Whatsa19
Bryanthemercman
Bryanthemercman

Red Riley likes this post

Back to top Go down