Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riley Mk III Dash

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Riley Mk III Dash Empty Riley Mk III Dash

Post  paulsminis Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:04 am

My Hornet is guilty of Elf envy and wants a Riley Dash. I can handle wood refinishing, so wood finish is not critical. By looking at the parts manuals, I see there are numerous brackets that are necessary, so if anyone can point me to a source I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Riley Mk III Dash Empty Re: Riley Mk III Dash

Post  Red Riley Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 am

Paul, I have an original dash that I used as a pattern. I may be able to at least provide you with patterns for panels and the brackets.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 pm

Patterns would be quite useful in fact. I actually have fairly good ideas on what is needed by looking at the diagram in AKD 5105 BMC parts book....but dimensions would be most helpful.

I will pm you my email details...

Thanks,

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:02 pm

I finally go the dash stripped. And when we went to visit the UK in Sept, I took it along and posted in to Chapman and Cliff. I asked them to do it in a semi-matte finish, and it arrived yesterday. It is a thing of beauty!
Riley Mk III Dash Dsc_6566cropped
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:59 am

Paul, did that dash come with the necessary brackets including the center bracket for the gauges that goes into the rotodip hole? I like the colors! Much nicer than the standard yellow elm colors.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:02 am

Brian,

I have all the necessary brackets except for two. They are number 25 and 26 in the attached photo. I also don't know what they connect, from/to.
I can't get the image to load...so here's the Picasa link

https://picasaweb.google.com/101638346046757213058/Christmas2012Eagles02?authkey=Gv1sRgCI3E67Te4Ozw7AE#5827181260177904946

Last edited by paulsminis on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:22 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : attempt to get right pic to load)
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 am

Hmm… I don't recall seeing any brackets like those when I rebuilt my dash. They must not be vital to the installation.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:18 pm

in answer to the missing brackets 25 and 26, these are secured to the eyeball vent that goes through the top of the inner wing just below the dash rail, these secure the ends of the dashboard to the car, these ars critical to the fastening of the end of the dashboard to the car,
with regard to a new dash, ive foind a nice plank of mahogony in my late fathers garage,, with several dashboard as patterns, im going to make one, french polish it to the required colour and then 2 pack laquer it to the best shine possible, flatting down with no2 wire wool between each coat, having restored lots of victorian furniyure over the past 4 years, it should be a doddle

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 pm

That would make sense that I didn't have those brackets, since the fresh air vent holes in the inner wing on my car had been closed off at some point. The only thing holding the ends of my dash in place are pieces of fabric (black duct tape, actually) going from the outer end plates under the door seals.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Red Riley wrote:That would make sense that I didn't have those brackets, since the fresh air vent holes in the inner wing on my car had been closed off at some point. The only thing holding the ends of my dash in place are pieces of fabric (black duct tape, actually) going from the outer end plates under the door seals.

the pieces you describe should be there, although they should be made of thin metal and covered in the same material as the covering on the A post, dash top, and lover crash rail, they are secured to the wood with 2 tiny screws and tucked under the door seal as you describe, of all the dash boards ive pulled out these are always rotten and very fragile and crispy, still useable as a pattern to make new ones,

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:12 pm

If those brackets are from the air vent outlets, then I must have them...probably still attached to the vents when I removed them from the dash. Thanks for helping me out with this one. Once I get over this darned post-Christmas cold bug, I will go look at the vents out in the garage.

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:26 pm

cooper50 wrote:
Red Riley wrote:That would make sense that I didn't have those brackets, since the fresh air vent holes in the inner wing on my car had been closed off at some point. The only thing holding the ends of my dash in place are pieces of fabric (black duct tape, actually) going from the outer end plates under the door seals.

the pieces you describe should be there, although they should be made of thin metal and covered in the same material as the covering on the A post, dash top, and lover crash rail, they are secured to the wood with 2 tiny screws and tucked under the door seal as you describe, of all the dash boards ive pulled out these are always rotten and very fragile and crispy, still useable as a pattern to make new ones,

You're referring to the two end plates, numbers 22 and 23 on the illustration? I have those, but not the ones Paul is asking about.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 pm

Guys,

Thanks for all the inputs and advice. I will start re-assembling the hardware onto the dash pieces and mock up the installation, and perhaps I can figure out what the two brackets are for and if they are needed. If something definitely is missing, perhaps I can mock them up by gauging shape from the parts manual.

I'll let you know what I find out once I get over this darned galloping crud I caught over Christmas....

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Alex,

Great series of images! Thank you very much. Evidently the brackets I asked about are not used on this set up. That is a big help, and now I can screw the brackets I removed before shipping it to the refinishers back in place and wait for some warmer weather to spend some time in the garage.

I can see where the "ears" on the blanking plate attach to the speedo assembly. Case closed for now. Hopefully there will be "reach" in the Hornet loom to make all the attachments to the speedo.

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am

Brackets 25 & 26 may not have been with the dash - I can't remember.
As they are left on the car when the dash is removed - by unscrewing the three wingnuts, two in the centre and one on the outside - they are more often than not left there through ignorance.

The only pic I didn't take was on the inside end of the outer panels. There are two bracket-24s there which attach to the plates on the outside edges of the centre piece.

Paul has actually driven the car this dash came from...
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:40 am

Elrond! Are brackets 25 and 26 actually in the pictures?? I guess not, and that they go from the bulkhead to the outer most stud on the dash panels.

Last edited by paulsminis on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:31 am

25 & 26 are not in the pictures - they may well still be on the car !

I've had a rootle through some old pics and found this:
Riley Mk III Dash IMG_0637_zps29251231
the bracket can be see attached to the air intake.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 am

I may try to reproduce some similar brackets for mine. It could do with a bit more support at the ends. But they'll just be screwed into the sheet metal since the air holes are welded over.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:03 am

Thumbsup!!!! Thanks, that will do it. I can make something up like that!
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 am

I pulled my original dash out of the pile, and lo and behold, the studs that those brackets would have attached to are there. Not the brackets though.
Riley Mk III Dash 8365468815_ddf51f68c2_b
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 am

I have those two outboard studs as well, and that's what got me looking at the parts manual to see what they connected to.

Now I notice that in Alex's photo above that I am going to need to fabricate those circular parts that take the air vent hose through the bulkhead. In a Hornet (like my car) the eyeball air vents bolt to the bulkhead, while on an Elf Mk III the vents are on the dash and have a short length of hose leading from the bulkhead adapter to the rear of the eyeball vents.
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:06 am

It would probably be easier to fabricate them than to find any in good shape.
Hang on lads, just had a look and Gordon does new ones!
http://www.catmint.biz/
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 pm

It's a tube with a collar on it - I'm sure you & Tim can knock something up between you.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I think I will take the easier route and just get a pair from Gordon. Thanks guys!
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next