Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today?

+13
spongebob
asahartz
cheleker
miniman86
evmck
Cupcake
Big_Al_Smith
TONYELF
elfgirl
We Are The Mods
Admin
discoman41
minikid14
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today? Empty Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today?

Post  minikid14 Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Does anyone know some rough figures of the amount of elfs and hornets still on the roads today? Here in the uk and around the world.

afro
minikid14
minikid14

Back to top Go down

Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today? Empty Re: Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today?

Post  discoman41 Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:53 am

The DVLA estimate no more than 900 elfs and hornets are left on the road around the globe. How they arrived at that figure, I don't know. Nor do I know how many are Elf and how many are Hornet?

I log and record every one I see - bit of a trainspotter thing really! And so far I only know of 412 - but then since I've been doing it (5 years) a lot of those may have been scrapped.

One thing is for certain.... they are getting rarer and rarer every year, although the EHR membership is rising!?! Maybe we will have them all eventually!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today? Empty Re: Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today?

Post  Admin Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:31 pm

lets hope so jase!
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.elf-hornet-register.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 pm

I have bought another one today. a total shed, mainly a stripped shell, and all the bits in another pile! another project for a future date! after the 59 and my hornet.. somewhere about the 2012 year mark!

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:57 pm

I think the japs got most of them looking at this mounths mini mag
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:21 pm

nick b wrote:I have bought another one today. a total shed, mainly a stripped shell, and all the bits in another pile! another project for a future date! after the 59 and my hornet.. somewhere about the 2012 year mark!

You must be mad!!!!!!!!!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:17 pm

i know i know! i need my brain cell tested!! but at 150 quid, cant turn it down! (and the beauty is, its stripped already for welding!), like i need another car... pale

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 am

elfgirl wrote:
nick b wrote:I have bought another one today. a total shed, mainly a stripped shell, and all the bits in another pile! another project for a future date! after the 59 and my hornet.. somewhere about the 2012 year mark!

You must be mad!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good job some of us are, without us there would be no need to have a scrappage incentive would there?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:48 am

i've seen your back yard - like you really need another car!!! ya mad b'stard Laughing Laughing
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cupcake Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:34 pm

I recently exercised my right to freedom of information at the DVLA regarding this question.
(I have to say they were very helpful and personable.)
Anyway, this is what they said:

Freedom of Information Request

Thank you for your letter dated 26 September requesting information under the terms of the
Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA).

In your letter you asked for the number of Riley Elf vehicles currently on the road or with a
Statutory off Road Notification (SORN) in the UK and the number of Wolseley Hornet
vehicles currently on the road or with a SORN in the UK.

On the 22 August 2010, there were 327 Riley Elf vehicles with a current licence and 225
with a SORN. Also, there were 275 Wolseley Hornets with a current licence and 166 with
a SORN.

I feel extremely lucky and privileged to be one of the 327!
Cupcake
Cupcake

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks for that Cupcake - it's fascinating and also very scary! Only 327 left, maybe mine deserves just a little bit more TLC then I've been giving her recently.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  evmck Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:22 am

I wonder how many more are out there - Henry was put off the road before SORN was introduced so wont show up on the figures until he is back on the road. Most have probably now got SORN declared but when I phoned DVLA about it they said I dont need to declare him as he was off the road prior to the new regulations so there may be a few more like him. Its great to see the figures as there are less than I thought still on the road!
evmck
evmck

Back to top Go down

Post  miniman86 Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Cupcake wrote:I recently exercised my right to freedom of information at the DVLA regarding this question.
(I have to say they were very helpful and personable.)
Anyway, this is what they said:

Freedom of Information Request

Thank you for your letter dated 26 September requesting information under the terms of the
Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA).

In your letter you asked for the number of Riley Elf vehicles currently on the road or with a
Statutory off Road Notification (SORN) in the UK and the number of Wolseley Hornet
vehicles currently on the road or with a SORN in the UK.

On the 22 August 2010, there were 327 Riley Elf vehicles with a current licence and 225
with a SORN. Also, there were 275 Wolseley Hornets with a current licence and 166 with
a SORN.

I feel extremely lucky and privileged to be one of the 327!

+1 more wolseley, as my mk3 auto was taxed again after 10 years, on the 25th september, just gotta sort out afew niggles now!! if shes a good girl she will be at malvern Wink

Alex

miniman86

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:12 pm

I can account for five more, if you count a Wolseley 1000. There's four more, including another W-1000 that I"ve sold over the years that I believe are still on the road. Two of the nine are Heinz Hornets. Two, the mentioned W-1000s. A Mk II Elf and Mk III Hornet that I sold. The remaining three are a Mk I Elf (Florentine Blue over Chartreuse Yellow) with 33,000 miles from new, a Mk II Elf with 17,500 miles from new, and a Mk II Elf with 11,500 miles from new.

cheleker

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Mine's one of the 225 SORNed right now. But target is to be back on the road this summer!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Amount of Elfs/Hornets on the roads today? Empty creating our own record of vehicles?

Post  spongebob Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:16 am

After following this post i got to thinking about creating our own club record of vehicles on the road and perhaps those we know have been scrapped and more importantly those undergoing restoration and not SORNed.
Perhaps the webmaster or someone in the know can create an EXCEL document for us all to fill in, even via the newsletter for club members who dont use the forum? Suggested columns being registration number, club membership number/username for contact if we want to trace an old vehicle, whereabouts it is by region or nation! and the vehicle status whether its scrapped, SORNed, used daily etc.
Can someone take the reins?
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

Post  Cupcake Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:49 pm

spongebob wrote:After following this post i got to thinking about creating our own club record of vehicles on the road and perhaps those we know have been scrapped and more importantly those undergoing restoration and not SORNed.
Perhaps the webmaster or someone in the know can create an EXCEL document for us all to fill in, even via the newsletter for club members who dont use the forum? Suggested columns being registration number, club membership number/username for contact if we want to trace an old vehicle, whereabouts it is by region or nation! and the vehicle status whether its scrapped, SORNed, used daily etc.
Can someone take the reins?

I'll second that!
Cupcake
Cupcake

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 pm

I kind of started doing this when I first bought my Elf. I have a spreadsheet that I update wherever possible, this developed from the original list of EHR members Big Al had and thus provided for me. Then I got to collecting one photograph of every Elf/Hornet I see either in person, on the net or publications, and consequently I have a rather extensive photo library - this includes scrapped vehicles.

I have put out a couple of appeals for every member to PM me with one photo of their car or cars, to include their Reg and status of the car (On Road/SORN) plus their geographical location, but I got very little response.

But what I have may be a good starting point? The only problem is maintaining the accuracy of the data, or keeping it up to date.

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Then there is the other added problem that not everyone wants to divulge their registration number for public viewing/listing on the internet, for obvious reasons. Which also gives rise to maintaining an accurate register. The only way i think we could do it would be for the EHR Register "management" to hold any kind of record away from public view, but use it as a reference point if anyone has a specific question, having said that, that would be just repeating what the DVLA can do surely?

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 pm

In order to keep that sort of data you need to be registered under the Data Protection Act.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:09 am

asahartz wrote:In order to keep that sort of data you need to be registered under the Data Protection Act.

Only if the data you keep can identify person or persons by identity and match that to demographic data. To keep a spreadsheet on your own PC containing "loose" info (ie last known area rather than specific address) is within the permissable boundary provided that data is not passed on for profit or monetary gain.

It only becomes questionable the more data you have. ie name, address, registration

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 am

our new archivist and head record keeper and historian (other than jase!), Lisa Furness, should be providing me with a form to go out to all members with the next newsletter (or one after) so that records of all members cars can be updated. no personal details would be released to any other party. so with any luck we'll soon have a definitive list of all cars owned by current paid up club members.... Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:05 am

Paid-up club members maybe... I confess I'm not one of those, and I suspect there are many more. So the list will only be partially complete.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:02 am

asahartz wrote:Paid-up club members maybe... I confess I'm not one of those, and I suspect there are many more. So the list will only be partially complete.

Why not? Current rates are only £5 a year, Al is determined to keep it at that level. There's quite a few of us that would be very happy to pay more to make sure the club survives - including hosting this site - go on asahartz, and the rest of you, it's only a fiver - it would be rude not too ;-)
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 pm

One of those "round-to-it" things I guess. I will sort it out shortly.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next