Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The right direction

3 posters

Go down

The right direction Empty The right direction

Post  RehctELF Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 am

Hi,
Iam in the middle of replacing floor and sills on my 1969 Elf and although I am not anywhere near, I am starting to think about modern improvements to replace older, less efficient parts so can I get an opinion or advice (all comments welcome) on things like;
Seat belts - Obviously safety first but should I fit the inertia reel type? I don't even know if the originals non retractable are still legal.
Front drum brakes - what is the acceptable practice? I can't see me going that fast and iam not planning on uprating engine performance so can or should I replace the drums and what if I do decide to change should I be looking to fit?
Dynamo - Again, not too concerned about a flat battery from driving in the dark etc but is an alternator a no brainer?
Hydrolastic suspension - I've already been told to rip it out but what is the General consensus?
Any comments and advice would be welcome and I hope to post more often in future.
Cheers

RehctELF

Back to top Go down

The right direction Empty Re: The right direction

Post  cheleker Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 am

Assuming you are going to use the car as transportation and you're not out to win trophies at car shows...

Convert the belts.
Brakes. Harder call because of the expense, but I convert to 7.5" S brakes.
Unless you're adding a lot of fancy lights and a big sound system, stay with the dynamo. Put the money saved towards the disc brakes!
If the hydrolastic is working, leave it in place.

cheleker

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Chuck probably knows more about them than I do, but I've heard pros and cons on upgrading brakes. I think there are upgraded brake linings available that will improve stopping power, but haven't used them. I've got massive 9 inch discs on mine, but I've also got about 100 BHP more than the car came with, so a whole other story.

Leave the hydrolastic alone unless it's broken. Switching to dry suspension will give you a worse ride than wet, and it's not exactly a straightforward job. You need to fit different subframes, add shock mounts, etc. Again, my car no longer has the hydro, but I wish I could have kept it.

Seat belts are a no-brainer. Upgrade them.

Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RehctELF Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:50 am

Cheers. Seems like good common sense advice. I will post a few photos when I get closer to addressing these items.

RehctELF

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum