Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instrument Panel

2 posters

Go down

Instrument Panel Empty Instrument Panel

Post  Tecs Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:35 am

Hi;
My 1963 MKII Elf is in need of a new instrument panel due to water damage. Europa Spares have a panel in Walnut, but I think the Elf panel is made in Elm. Do anyone know where I can find one? Very Happy

Kind regards
Tecs

Tecs

Back to top Go down

Instrument Panel Empty Re: Instrument Panel

Post  Guest Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:26 pm

If it's not too badly damaged, have the old ones redone. There are a few places that do a great job on them. The old ones do pop up on ebay, if you need a replacement, but keep in mind that the panels themselves are just simple flat bits of plywood covered in veneer and are easy to reproduce, so you don't have to search for the original ones if you're going to redo them and just need to replace one of the panels. While you are looking, be aware that the Elf dash is NOT the same as the aftermarket or ROKEE style ones made for Minis. The fitting is different, and the center panel fits over the Mini's gauge cluster, while the Elf gauges are attached to the center panel with brackets used only on the Elf. I've seen many time when ROKEE dashes are offered on ebay and claimed to fit the Elf.

Back to top Go down

Instrument Panel Empty Instrumen Panel

Post  Tecs Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi;
It is beyond repair, has been exposed to water leaks ed for to long. I need a panel to make all thee pieces new. Very Happy
Kindest regards
Tecs

Tecs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:38 pm

If you want perfection, I know at least one of our members has used http://www.chapmanandcliff.co.uk/pricelist.htm. They even list the Riley Elf in their price lists. If you sent them all of the nasty water spoiled dash pieces, they could use them as patterns to make up new ones.
Scroll down through this post to see the results. >>> https://elf-hornet.forumotion.com/t1304p15-coco-chanelf-almost-finished?highlight=dash+repair

If you would rather do it yourself, Bear in mind that the side panels have a curved bit that overlaps the center panel, so cutting the bits out of a flat panel is going to give you a raw edge, unless you're not too worried about that. Your better bet would be to remake the panels first, then add the veneer so you can get it around the curved edge.

I did mine out of some cabinet grade birch plywood, then just stained them to get the color I wanted. Not as perfect as the above vendor would make them, but suited to my purposes.
Instrument Panel 8714142785_c660a00972_z

Back to top Go down

Instrument Panel Empty GDK Veneering

Post  Bryanthemercman Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi,
I highly recommend GDK Veneering they had a restored me an Elf dash and they also had my old dash in part exchange. The workmanship was first class.

www.gdkveneering.co.uk
Bryanthemercman
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum