Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Green Hornet

3 posters

Go down

My Green Hornet Empty My Green Hornet

Post  wcrocker Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:53 am

Hi Everyone,

I have been watching the forum for a while now, keeping my eyes open for the opportunity to buy a Hornet or Elf at the right place, time and for the right price. Well, I doubt there is ever a *right* time for many things, I took the plunge and bought a 1967 Wolseley Hornet. With the car located across the country from me (a driving distance of 6,214kms), I decided to take a chance and buy the car without having seen it in person. The seller answered all my questions and was quite honest with anything, so we made a deal. After finally making the decision, I arranged a shipper, who said it would be here in about two weeks, well two weeks turned into two months, but I was finally able to get it yesterday. I went out to the location to pick it up, which ended up being at dusk. The car started without much difficulty, but due to the sketchy electrics, I had no taillights, no interior lights, no signals and the headlights were okay.... once I figured out how to get them working. My father-in-law followed me home with the four way flashers on while travelling the highway, to keep me from being mowed over, and the trunk popped open twice during the drive, but otherwise, it was an okay drive. Since it was dark when I picked it up, I didn't get a good look at it until today.

Initial thoughts on my purchase:
overall solid car
many minor things neglected - perhaps the owner didn't know how to do things himself?
car has had repairs in the past, much of the paintwork is mediocre
seats will need complete redoing
it should be a good little project car for me.

Initial thoughts on things needed (not necessarily in order):
a thorough cleaning inside and outside
trouble shooting all electrical systems
install new signal light switch provided by seller
troubleshoot the sloppiness in the shifter
lubricate everything that moves
fix left hand door so it'll open
find a replacement radiator cap
check all fluids
inspect thoroughly for rot
clean off any surface rust, treat and spot paint
new interior light
new left hand side door trim

I'll post some photos below.

wcrocker

Back to top Go down

My Green Hornet Empty Re: My Green Hornet

Post  wcrocker Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:03 am

Photos of my Hornet
My Green Hornet P1080610

My Green Hornet P1080611

My Green Hornet P1080612

My Green Hornet P1080710

My Green Hornet P1080711

My Green Hornet P1080712

My Green Hornet P1080713

My Green Hornet P1080714

wcrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Cool Cool Cool

Looks very good.
Nothing too bad to sort out by the sound of things.
You are sure to have lots of 'fun' times to come ! Very Happy Wink affraid

Keep us informed with the progress.  You could start a project thread ? bounce study

boris
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:49 am

Lovely looking little car Cool afro
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

My Green Hornet Empty Success! (sort of)

Post  wcrocker Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Well, last fall I was having issues with the Hornet not starting, but didn't have time to thoroughly investigate due to the cold weather.  I got off early from work, and after a bit of tinkering, I got the Hornet running. It ended up being the power supply to the fuel pump. The loom runs through the boot inside a plastic sheath (not original), and inside that was a loose spade style connector that had been installed  when the pump had been replaced with an electric pump in the past. After that she started right up with a little boost to the battery. bounce  bounce  cheers

I still didn't make it out of the driveway though. The clutch didn't want to engage.  Sad  I push the clutch in and have little resistance, and if I try to put it in gear, it only grinds.  Any thoughts on what I should look at first?  I'm thinking I'll check the fluid, the adjustment and check for mechanical wear as a first plan of attack.  I didn't have any more time to investigate further, so that will have to wait for another day. I also pulled off my hubcaps and noticed that my rear rims do not have sufficient wheel stud length to properly engage the wheel nuts.  I looked into it online, and it appears you can buy 'standard' offset drums, or drums with spacers built in (as would be required for a wider tire, as per the Coopers.  Therefore, someone must have bought the drums with spacers for the rear (perhaps unknowingly), and neglected to change the studs out.

wcrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum