Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tech data for NZ Elfs

4 posters

Go down

Tech data for NZ Elfs Empty Tech data for NZ Elfs

Post  Phill Aust Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Hello everyone, its Phill here, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
Can anyone help with tech info, I have imported from, New Zealand to Australia a 1965 Riley Elf MkII, as these cars were not available in Aust.
I have had the car since 2006, its been stored, and not registered yet, it is in reasonable and complete condition, I'm about to start a tidy up, and the mystery begins,!!
I have no historical paperwork, Log Books etc,, it was simply a second hand car, at a reasonable price. The car has its Vehicle Identification Tag mounted on the radiator panel (Riley Tag).
It has no Fisher & Ludlow Tag, (Fisholow Tag) and doesn't appear to have ever had one, I have applied for a "British Heritage Certificate" but the only info was -CKD, export to New Zealand, Jan 1965.
Its Colour & trim combinations don't seem to line up with the British Vehicles, as far as i can tell. My understanding is that NZ "local content" included Paint, Trim & Wire Loom, but unsure if this included the Elfs /- Hornets
It appears to be its original colour, not sure yet, a pastel Green, but not "Glen Green", Cardinal Red interior,,
Is there any info out there, ?????

Phill Aust

Back to top Go down

Tech data for NZ Elfs Empty Re: Tech data for NZ Elfs

Post  boris710 Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi Phill, I dont know if this is of any help whatsoever but I have a UK 69 MK3 Elf in Cumberland Green with an Old English White roof and a Green leather interior ?  study

Tech data for NZ Elfs <a href=Tech data for NZ Elfs Elf%201%20np" />

UK Spec paints I know and nothing to say that NZ used the same colours confused
More pics in the "Projects" thread if you need them. Smile
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Tech data for NZ Elfs Empty NZ Elf Data

Post  Phill Aust Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks mate,, Boris ??
Very nice, straight & clean looking Elf,,,Very nice!! I'll have to post some photos of mine, but its tucked away in the corner of the workshop, awaiting some luv,!!, and its paint & general appearance is looking 40yr old.
Yes Cumberland Green (GN-35), I originally thought my car was that colour, had a sample made, and its exactly that-/your colour,, but not my colour,,not even close,!!
And i guess this is the problem-/ question, What colour is mine,???, Were they painted in NZ,??, & Did they use BMC colours,???, Do we know anyone with this depth of info,,????
Like i said before, mine appears to be its original colour, its a more pastel green colour,, we seem to be able to identify the British colours & codes and they seem to match up quite well with Australian paints,,
I thought "Glen Green", (GN-40) which is close, had a sample made- but not this colour, going to try "Porcelain Green" (GN-17) but don't think so,, maybe "Fiesta Yellow" (YL-11) it appears to have green tinge to it, ?
Anyway we will see, if all else fails, i'll have the paint tinted to order,,
Talk soon, Phill

Phill Aust

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:35 am

There is a lighter colour Green used on the Hornets of the time but I'm not sure what the name or number was. Neutral
Good luck with your "Paint quest" and keep us up to date of what happens to the car. Cool
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:09 pm

The lighter colour green used on the body of Mk II Hornets (with a darker Spruce Green top) was Glen Green. There was a colour on the Mk III Hornets called Everglade Green (GN42) that was used on the body (with a Snowberry White top). Don't know what it looked like.

cheleker

Back to top Go down

Tech data for NZ Elfs Empty Another New Zealand Elf

Post  Daredelvis Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:04 am

I also have a New Zealand Elf.  It is a 1967 Mark II that I bought last year from a woman in Huntington Beach California.  She said she had bought if from someone in South Carolina back in 2007, and that it came from New Zealand in around 2001. I've been through the brakes and a few other issues. It's drivable, but the 998 is very tired.  I'm putting a 1275 together to help with the San Diego canyons.

Tech data for NZ Elfs 21707210

Here's my youngest standing in front of BUDYELF.

The woman I bought it from gave me a stack of receipts from an outfit that works on Minis in her area.  I had a chance to look at their work, and let's just say I've formed an opinion...

Brian
Daredelvis
Daredelvis

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:56 am

That looks very nice Brian Cool but you do know that they are meant to have 2 windscreen wipers right ??? Wink Very Happy pirat
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredelvis Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:18 pm

boris710 wrote:That looks very nice Brian Cool  but you do know that they are meant to have 2 windscreen wipers right ???  Wink Very Happy pirat

I'm in San Diego. One is overkill.
Brian
Daredelvis
Daredelvis

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Daredelvis wrote:
boris710 wrote:That looks very nice Brian Cool  but you do know that they are meant to have 2 windscreen wipers right ???  Wink Very Happy pirat

I'm in San Diego. One is overkill.
Brian

Hahaha !
Good point !
lol!
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  Daredelvis Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:18 am

boris710 wrote:

Hahaha !
Good point !
lol!
Thanks Boris.  It's a fun car.  I told my wife it would be our weekend breakfast car.  I've had a Bugeye since 1983, but that is not the best car to drag a family of four around in.  The Elf is a family car.

I'm looking forward to digging into the Elf drivetrain. It will be a new expereince.
Brian
Daredelvis
Daredelvis

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:03 am

Its unusual today to have a family car thats so small in size yet still a 'Family' car. The Elf is just that when compared to any 2 seater.
As for the drivetrain its all pretty straightforwards being an "A" Series engine and front wheel drive. You shouldnt have any major issues there so long as everything is tight and well greased up !

UK Weather here dictates AT LEAST 2 windscreen wipers at all times Hahaha! and floatation bags and Water Wings as well at some times of the year !!! so you are very lucky to be in San Diego ! Enjoy Cool
boris710
boris710

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down