Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retiring Gramp's new hobby

5 posters

Go down

Retiring Gramp's new hobby Empty Retiring Gramp's new hobby

Post  Z5Roadster Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi guys, now into serious body shaping on other marques, thought it was time to try something a bit easier, currently I have a 1933 Plymouth PD Coupe almost ready for paint, when it came to me 4" missing across the back and 6" of the boot floor. No panels available that would have been suitable, so some serious tin bashing and wheeling followed by welding more panel beating, just needs lead filling and it's good to go.

Another nut and bolt restoration underway on a 1934 Plymouth PE Pick-up which I imported last year.

Now why I am here is to establish what panels are available for a 1967 Elf, I appreciate that most of the panels are mini MkII & III but what about those unique rear quarters, the front and rear panels, boot floor. Have looked on the net but not found anything positive, Hadrian Car Panels used to list them but they are long gone, just a thought but these were made in several countries I believe, hopefully someone here will know what's out there.

The idea is that this could be my grandsons first car.

Thanks  
Z5Roadster
Z5Roadster

Back to top Go down

Retiring Gramp's new hobby Empty Re: Retiring Gramp's new hobby

Post  Big_Al_Smith Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Sadly no-one does rear wings. Boot floor extension panels are available at catmint.bz as is a conversion panel to make a standard mini front panel into an elf/ hornet one at a fraction of the cost of a new one from ( i think) Somerford and M-Machine. Rear valances are available (on ebay sometimes) but a van/ pick-up one can be modified. Hope this helps a bit
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Z5Roadster Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks Big_Al that's what I feared, not sure I would want to get involved with making a rear quarter panel. The car I looked at also needed a bonnet which I missed on my first look, Somerford's site speaks of a South African plant that produced shells Mini front Elf back, I wondered if there might be a source there, I do have a contact in SA. Might be worth a try??
Z5Roadster
Z5Roadster

Back to top Go down

Retiring Gramp's new hobby Empty South African Contact

Post  Bryanthemercman Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi There,

I have a friend who lives part time in South Africa I could ask him for help. I also have seen a member of the Riley Club from South Africa if you want to register there?
Regards
Bryanthemercman
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Z5Roadster Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:54 am

Bryanthemercman wrote:Hi There,

I have a friend who lives part time in South Africa I could ask him for help. I also have seen a member of the Riley Club from South Africa if you want to register there?
Regards

That would be good if you could ask your friend, these parts would be an advantage to a lot of owners if they exist. The world is a much smaller place than it when these cars were in production, SA cars last a lot longer than UK models. Australia might also be a possibility.

My 1933 Plymouth spent it's first 70 yrs in SA, 95% of the steel is as good as the day it came out of the Detroit plant.

Thanks
Z5Roadster
Z5Roadster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:31 am

Hi,

I live here in SA and happen to have one of these cars.

Retiring Gramp's new hobby IMG_20150605_144231_zpst8v7bqqz

Retiring Gramp's new hobby IMG_20150314_161117_zps96zej9vn

Let me know what you need and I can find out.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Retiring Gramp's new hobby Empty South Africa

Post  Bryanthemercman Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi There I have spoken with my friend who is going back to South Africa on the 26th and he will make some enquires on our behalf and bring back me some "Auto Trader" magazines to help. I will also see if I can find any websites.
Bryanthemercman
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:36 pm

I know of one that has had a front end smash. I can try and find out about and see if I can get some pictures of the rear section? Unless you're looking for an entire car? These cars aren't so easy to find in good condition anymore . . .
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:11 pm

The only way you're going to find an Elf/Hornet rear section is to find someone selling an Elf/Hornet with a damaged front, or a Mk 3 as Jared suggests (in South Africa) in the same condition. Only about 3900 of the Mk 3s were sold in S.A. with the last sold about 44 years ago, so your odds are much in favor of an Elf/Hornet.

cheleker

Back to top Go down

Retiring Gramp's new hobby Empty Search for another

Post  Z5Roadster Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks for all your contributions, unfortunately the Elf I was looking at has been sold. I will start to look for another hopefully requiring less panel work and I have time to wait.

Jared Mk3 cracking looking car you have there.

Thanks again
Z5Roadster
Z5Roadster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:58 am

Z5Roadster wrote:Thanks for all your contributions, unfortunately the Elf I was looking at has been sold. I will start to look for another hopefully requiring less panel work and I have time to wait.

Jared Mk3 cracking looking car you have there.

Thanks again

It's always worth the wait Smile And thank you for the compliment.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down