Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dreaded Hydrolastic problem

2 posters

Go down

Dreaded Hydrolastic problem Empty Dreaded Hydrolastic problem

Post  Ernietheelf Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi,
I've been a UK (Berkshire) member of the Elf/Hornet Register for a couple of years and have been gradually restoring my 1969 Elf over the last 10 years. It's now pretty complete and back on the road, but the front nearside (only) rests on the bump-stop. I got the system pumped two years ago, but this corner didn't balance up (nor did it leak, though). I'm loathe to get another "refurb" unit if I don't need to, in view of the cost although the rubber covers are perished on both the front units.
1. Do the replacement covers just stretch over, fitted from underneath, (and presumably with the top arm removed)?
2. Any thoughts on the complete unit if it isn't leaking and the link pipe from the back isn't crimped?
3. If I have to replace the n/s/f hydrolastic unit, where best to get one in the UK without a mortgage!?

Cheers
Richard
Ernietheelf
Ernietheelf

Back to top Go down

Dreaded Hydrolastic problem Empty Re: Dreaded Hydrolastic problem

Post  geoff-d Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Have you thought about changing it over to dry . That Will sort it.
Are you local to Woodley & get Paul to do your work ?
geoff-d
geoff-d

Back to top Go down

Dreaded Hydrolastic problem Empty DREADED HYDROLASTIC PROBLEM - options

Post  Ernietheelf Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:00 am

Yes, I'm increasingly considering the dry alternative. If I understand correctly, I could fit dry trumpets ad joints straight into the rear sub-frame and use the existing spring mounts for the dampers?
I would then ditch the front sub-frame and apart from the dry sub-frame and suspension parts, would need new top damper mounts and top suspension arms?
If I go down this path, It will be worth changing my good (original 38k mile) engine for my spare (rebuilt 1218cc with Imp Sport pistons) engine and recondition the gearbox (which is fine except a previous owner somehow trashed the synchro on top gear so that it crunches as you change up unless done slowly). I would also seek a disc brake set for the front, but keep size to allow retention of the 10" wheels.
If you know of any of these parts reasonably locally (Twyford, so "yes" for Woodley), and in particular the pre-74 front subframe, I'll start the changes.
The only thing I'll regret is losing the ride quality. From past dry mini experience including standard and Spax Hi-Lo adjustables, it'd be nice not to have the choppy ride. I gather there's a v expensive spring conversion in the USA.....
Ernietheelf
Ernietheelf

Back to top Go down

Post  geoff-d Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Well you can have a go in my hornet if you want to try one out its on dry .
I have a dry front subby probably a set of top arms , trumpets, top shocker mounts , sorry I have sold my cooper s disc sets . Make a list of what you want and I will see what I can find. Let me know if you want a test drive.
Are you going to castle combe ?
geoff-d
geoff-d

Back to top Go down

Post  Ernietheelf Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Brilliant. Thanks.
I'll be looking for all the conversion parts you've got since my spares are almost all engine & light parts. Can we meet up one evening? To avoid listing address or phone details on open forum, perhaps at the Woodley Air Museum entrance?
I won't be going to Castle Combe or any meets too far afield until the suspension is sorted (although it passed its MOT as-is!).
Cheers again.

Ernietheelf
Ernietheelf

Back to top Go down

Post  geoff-d Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 pm

You have a pm
I can do airfield what time is good for you.
Iam going to the H cafe mini gathering on Thursday if you ever fancy a trip its on the 1st Thursday of the mth.
geoff-d
geoff-d

Back to top Go down

Post  geoff-d Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:14 pm

There is two hydro units on eBay at the moment
geoff-d
geoff-d

Back to top Go down

Post  Ernietheelf Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 am

I've looked at the eBay ads, but have come round to the conversion solution for the longer term.
Are you about at 8.00 this evening to meet at the airfield? I'll bring the Elf to show you.
Ernietheelf
Ernietheelf

Back to top Go down

Post  geoff-d Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Yes I think so will see you there.
You can get some cash back from selling you other two hyd units
geoff-d
geoff-d

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content