Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUSTIN MINI MK3

+4
cheleker
Jared Mk3
SAMK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Empty AUSTIN MINI MK3

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Sun May 19, 2013 11:49 am

Here is my new baby!

her name is KEISHA

some pics of the day i bought it!!

AUSTIN MINI MK3 20130210
AUSTIN MINI MK3 20130211
AUSTIN MINI MK3 20130212

i have already done a few things, with many more plans in the pipeline!!

was to keep the outside as original as possible, with 10 1275 wheels and hubcaps...

engine i am upgrading, the 998 in the car at the moment is quite tired and i need to use it everyday////

looking forwqard to sharing the process with you all!!!

(mk3s are welcome here right!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by devon_AUSTIN-MK3 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 am; edited 3 times in total
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Empty Re: AUSTIN MINI MK3

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Sun May 19, 2013 12:05 pm

first weekend i had her!! (mini life??)

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0210

the problem?

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0211

universal joints.....
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Sun May 19, 2013 12:08 pm

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0212
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Sun May 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Welcome. Your Mk3 looks pretty complete. I've seen photos of this car before, maybe on a Gumtree ad? What are your plans for the car? Keeping the MkI grill? I'd love to see some under bonnet photos to compare with mine and Kev's Mk3. Does your have Dymo tape on the driver's side apron? Is it a '69 or '70?
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Sun May 19, 2013 9:30 pm

That car was indeed for sale on the internet at one stage, I remember seeing it too. It's nice to see that it has the first generation internal hinged doors, the Mk3 badge on the boot and it's bumpers and over riders. From the pictures, your car has definitely been resprayed, I can tell by the window rubbers for the windscreens. It's also interesting to note the position of the reflectors at the rear. Another thing I have noticed is the the badge on the bonnet, it seems to be one that was fitted to a steering wheel originally. It looks like you have a nice car here.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 pm

yes has been resprayed Sad do think its the original color though..

its a 1970, i have already changed the grill. the bonnet badge is installed incorrectly, the bevel is underneath the badge.. shrugs

yeah all the important things in place, ill put a pivk up of the engine! (its painted stange colors...) lol
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Sun May 19, 2013 10:53 pm

plans for the car:

exterior want to keep mostly original looking. Probably take the spot lights off....
AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0010
i personally think the unique bumper of the elf/hornet really shines on the standard mini front

same for the interior which i think has been redone but looks "period" enough.
AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0214

engine bay, when i got it
AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0213

leaky exhaust led to this
AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0012

which required this
AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0013

which meant it looked like this
AUSTIN MINI MK3 Img-2010

the future:

managed to organise some 7.5 inch discs and a brake booster witch ill fit soon with the cream "1275E" wheels and hubcaps

got a gts engine i am rebuilding, bigger pistons, higher compression ratio, flowed and ported head, twin 1/2s (if i can find em) - want to make the engine bay look like a cooper s engine bay! have to find a way to include an oil cooper but local engines make that hard so will see....

could never get the twin carbs working properly so eventually fitted a single 1/2 (will take a photo tomorrow)

she is running beautifully now!!! life in the slow lane!!! lol
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 am

I say the badge looks like a steering wheel item, because it looks to have a thick black outer rim, stuck over the original chrome bezel. I know that some of our South African cars came out in BRG, like the Mk1/2 998cc Minis, as well as the the very rare 1275GT, but to my knowledge I don't think the Mk3 came out in BRG. That said, your car looks stunning in that colour scheme and I would leave it like that. Also, it looks so much better with the correct grille on it now.

I'm also going the 7.5 inch disc route, but I don't have a servo with mine. Also keeping the 998cc, but with a Maniflow manifold and an RC40 system, with a 36 Weber.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 pm

thanks!!

i'll check out the badge thing... the original badge a south african only thing?

managed to trade some 8.4 discs for a set of 7.5 discs which came with a booster!

why a weber? (just wondering) cause i always things SUs always look so at home in a mini...

considered doing up the 998 but at the end of the day more a romance than practical.....

if i could find an A+ block i could make at least kinda sorta look like a small bore

but the oil filter position change on the SA blocks makes this kinda impossible.

do you still have the "give it stick" gear change?
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Mon May 20, 2013 11:21 pm

The badge was the same one used on the Austin cars in the UK, but as far as my experience goes, they're quite hard to come by in good condition. You're also lucky to find a setup like that with the booster, especially in this country!

When my car was still on the road, the little 998cc ran so well, it was almost perfect. The reason I chose the Weber is because in my family's experience, we've never had a problem with them - they give good power and good fuel efficiency, provided they are set up correctly.

If you can sort out the 998cc you have now, then you won't regret it, they are beautiful engines when set up and running properly.

By "give it stick", do you mean the Remote Change?
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 am

yeah, the remote change (was only on coopers and the mk3 as far as i know)

yeah, my dad is a big GTS fan so i've driven some of those and a 998 cannot compare to a 1275 for everyday use....especially a nicely tuned one...

and building a motor costs the same if its a small bore or big bore...... universal joints though... big power and they become problems and the cooper s universal is hard to come by

yeah if you get a cooper s head and twin SUs a 998 can run nicely but still not as nice as a standard 1275E

yeah the boot badge is not available on any of the UK mini sites so just assumed....
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 am

and yes got lucky with the brakes, initially was just trading discs for discs (the guy had 13 in wheels on his bakkie and 7.5 discs) but when i brought him the discs he had found the booster!! super pleased about that!!!
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 am

correctly set up SUs are da bizniz on minis!!! (just saying Razz )
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 8:50 am

btw, earlier you mentioned old photos of mk3s being made?

any where i could see those??
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 am

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Img-2011
big boot means big bass???

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Img-2012
me and me car!!

see the reflectors position? maybe they changed it in 71?
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am

AUSTIN MINI MK3 Imag0215

was a clunking on the one side when i went over bumps... found one of these were missing!!!

what a difference it made to the ride!!

devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 am

You have a point about the engine. I know, because we has a Clubman with a 1293cc in it - that car was fast!

The bonnet badge, like I said is generic in terms of the UK Austin Minis, but the boot badge, from what I have found out, was actually from a Triumph of the time I think. These are pretty hard to come by in this country, unless you climb onto ebay, because they don't make them anymore.

Now, if only I could find a booster for my car! There's nothing wrong with the SU carb, we've also never had problems with these, but I had the little 1.25 inch SU fitted on my car and I wanted an upgrade. With also wanting to fit an LCB (banana branch) and keeping the SU, I would have to import the correct manifold or search extremely hard for one in this country. That's why I went Weber, because they are readily available, easy to set up and the manifold's are easier to come by as well.

The reflectors are a mystery to me. I've seen a number of cars fitted with them by the bumper like yours, but mine were fitted below the tail lights - they screwed in.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 12:20 pm

i found a "mk3" boot badge for R20 at the piston ring boot club sale! which is great because the one on the car is broken!

but i plan of getting one made (i service laser cutters so hoping to find a customer to cut me a mk3 badge in the style of the "mini" badge

the plastic mk3 badge really looks like an afterthought.
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Tue May 21, 2013 12:21 pm

a brand new manifold is only about R600, not too bad

would love to know what happened to all the boosters! becasue all the cars that came with the 7.5 inch disc set up had one! including all cooper s' and early gts' as well as the 1275 GT (which aren't really around).

some other mini guys have sugested an aftermarkey non mini part, and that is definitely an option. from what i understand the 7.5 discs without a booster are hardly better than drums.
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 pm

I think most people threw the boosters away or something when they needed repair as kits aren't readily available in this country and not everyone is willing to import.

Nice find on the boot badge. My dad found one for me off an accident damaged car and the guy gave it to me for nothing.

From what I've read, most guys like to run the standard discs, but just with EBC Green Stuff pads, which are a great improvement over the old standard items.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 am

The remote change was used on at least one other S.A. car, the later ("Mk II") version of the Wolseley 1000.

Although in relative terms the Mk 3 was fairly popular with a lot of them sold, I've not been able to find a decent one. They are either one step away from being scrap or messed about with so much that one cries. "What were you thinking?" to look at them. You certainly found a good one, though.

cheleker

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 am

-My Mk3 has the rear reflectors in the same place. Mine's a '70 as well. I've seen some Mk3's with the reflectors below the taillights.
-Bonnet badge... I found one from Australia, almost the same but the pins have a different orientation and the crest is a tad smaller. Hard to notice.
-Boot "Mk3" badge... you have yours but if you need one, there is an ebay seller from Germany who oddly enough sells a reproduction. The original item is chromed plastic, but the repro is metal.
-Your overriders look great
-Do you have the "Made in Cape Town" washer fluid bottle? Don't lose it.
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm

I tend to agree, these cars are getting really difficult to find in decent condition.

Yes, another thing I forgot to mention, don't get rid of the Made in Cape Town washer bottle, they aren't all that common anymore.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Wed May 22, 2013 5:28 pm

thanks!

was pleased to find that almost everything is mostly original.

sadly, the engine has been out at some point though, and the car has been resprayed. the door mirrors are mounted in the wrong place! (well i know they actually never had) but its not the mounted like the minis that do... and some annoyingly visible speakers on the parcel shelf.

need to find some dashboard vinyls and a parcel shelf.

but importantly, has the bumbers, the door handles, and is mostly rust free (none of the important spots) a respray is going to have to be done.... not sure a full strip down will be doable untill i get another car (which isnt happening for the next two years at least) lol

but i am going to be building up an engine and redoing a subframe for it. i am excited for that!!

anyone know the color the engine was initially? (i think i have found the right rocker cover- with the BMC south africa sticker-its silver)

Last edited by devon_AUSTIN-MK3 on Wed May 22, 2013 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  devon_AUSTIN-MK3 Wed May 22, 2013 5:31 pm

not sure about the washer bottle, you have a photo of the correct item? (an electric pump has been added to my washer so not sure if it is original) - i dont think its in the same place as yours/ Neutral
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
devon_AUSTIN-MK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next