Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

heater Matrix test

2 posters

Go down

heater Matrix test Empty heater Matrix test

Post  elfsave Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 am

Has anyone know the best way to test a heater matrix and most important to what pressure.I think I have just blown 2 with mains water pressure I thought they would take that, no problem. An Ideas. Thanks, Paul.

elfsave

Back to top Go down

heater Matrix test Empty Re: heater Matrix test

Post  Alex Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 am

The radiator cap should be around 16lbs before it lifts, so the heater matrix ought to be able to take 16 psi or ~1.1 bar.

Mains water pressure by law has to be a minimum of 10 metres head (1 bar) at the property boundary, and most water companies aim to deliver 25 or 2.5bar.
If your matrixes were even slightly dodgy it's no wonder you blew them apart at over 2 bar !

Don't be tempted to use compressed air to test the matrix - it is dangerous.

I'd just buy a new one. Having had a couple fail in the car over the years, it's not fun and not worth it.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

heater Matrix test Empty Ai test

Post  elfsave Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm

I knew Air testing was dangerous so I got a digital manometer and conected the outlets via rubber tubing and a foot pump.I put 10mb into it and stuck it in a bucket of water.The one which was a water fountain held air so god knows where the water was comming from!It was pretty dark in the back garden at 9 pm all I knew was that it was not comming from the hose pipe connections, but the one which dripping water on the floor of the car wouldnt pressurise and just hissed as i havn,t removed it from the casing yet.When I get it in bits I will do it again and report back. Paul.

elfsave

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 pm

10 mBar is about 0.1 psi - not really much of a test as atmospheric pressure can vary by that !

You need about a Bar or 15psi.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

heater Matrix test Empty Matrix

Post  elfsave Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:37 am

The matrix which was leaking in in the car, once I removed it you could see it had been repaired on the end, by being re soldered on a seam.
I was going to have a go at soldering again , as a chalange really to my my skills really, because i have done a bit of wiping solder joints at work on old Telecom cables.
I wish I had as the other Matrix must have been out of something I scrapped years ago and I didn,t know what but the outlets were reversed and it was about quarter smaller all round with plastic end tanks.BUT It was like brand new thats why I kept it probobly.
Ayway I got it to fit after a lot of mucking around and then the chrome toddle switch fell apart as i put the wire back, found another one And it is now holding water and blowing.
I wouldn't mind If they were good when but they work properley but they are crap in general.
Thanks for your help. Paul.

elfsave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down